Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2016 05:00

Networker DDBoost Client Direct with Multiple VLANs

Networker server setup with different IPs for VLAN15 and VLAN16 to backup different VLANs servers

Switch level done VLAN tagging

DD setup vth0 10.x.x.x (using 2 physical interface ethMa, ethMb), then create 2 virtual vth0.15 and vth0.16 interface.

At Networker connect to DD, create Data Domain using IP address of vth0.15..

Backup to DD has no problem, but I wonder the data is still flow through Networker server or ddboost Client Direct does not work due to setup? I login to DD and show only 1 access at the time from networker server..

How is networker client redirect the traffic to DD via their VLAN respectively? Since Networker covered both VLAN15 and VLAN16, i think the client still pass through networker even i already select client direct and backup to the DD pool...

any suggestion and advise is highly appreciated..

14.3K Posts

January 21st, 2016 13:00

You can examine the traffic on your media server (card) and also check logs as if it can't use direct stream to DD it records so in daemon.raw.  I have also different VLANs, but for those (each) I defined DD and have their own pools. In other words, I have devices for each VLAN (3 in my case) and depending on which VLAN client is, it belong to group that will use that VLAN.  With such setup, I see all my clients using correct VLANs towards DD (including replication).

15 Posts

January 21st, 2016 22:00

Thanks for your reply.

For the devices, I am using Wizard to create.

From networker, when connecting to DD, does it matters using which IP or host to connect into? (since we have 2 IPs in DD)

So using each pool for each VLANs (DD having different file systems as well?)

14.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 05:00

Yes.  For example, I have server with 3 VLANs.  Depending if you have 1 site or 2 sites, you will end up with 3 or 6 pools respectively (for backup; for cloning double it).  Example:

- you have VLAN1, VLAN2, VLAN3

- you have only backup server and it has all 3 VLANs

- I will assume you use cloning (CCR)

- DD1 is running on site1

- DD2 is running on site2

In NMC you create DD devices for using DD1 VLAN11 (and you use DD1 VLAN name to define DD):

- DDsite1_backup_VLAN1

- DDsite1_clone_VLAN1

Then same for DD2 VLAN1 (and you use DD2 VLAN1 name to define DD).

Then same for DD1 and DD2 VLAN2 (now you use VLAN2 names to define DD)

Then same for DD1 and DD2 VLAN3 (now you use VLAN3 names to define DD).

Assign deviced to pools which will be something like:

Site1_bVLAN1

Site1_bVLAN2

Site1_bVLAN3

Site2_bVLAN1

Site2_bVLAN2

Site2_bVLAN3

Site1_cVLAN1

Site1_cVLAN2

Site1_cVLAN3

Site2_cVLAN1

Site2_cVLAN2

Site2_cVLAN3

If you have single site, you can cut this in half of course as you don't need to worry about site separation between pools.  Also, if you use server plus two media servers (one per site), you can have 50% less pools as site to which it writes is then controlled by storage node field in client.  Above example, one backup server + 2 sites, is something that should be very common these days, but NW still doesn't have option to instruct client to which DD to write in such case so you must separate streams per site (unless you don't care about traffic going cross site back and forth).

15 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 06:00

The setup is only 1 site with 1x DD, and 2 VLANs. No Cloning. (Only clone to tapes)

Will it seems like the DD (with 2x IPs) will be like “partition” to served 2 VLANs?

NW will have to create 2 Data Domain (with different VLANs), and each Data Domain having its own device and volumes to serve the VLANs respectively? (different MTREE inside DD)

14.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 07:00

mtree is created per datazone.  As you have one server, that would be one mtree.  Devices, regardless of VLAN, are all created inside that mtree.

With two VLANs and 1 site, just create (for DD backup)

backupVLAN1 pool using DD-VLAN1 device paths

backupVLAN2 pool using DD-VLAN2 device paths

To clone these to tape, as data flow over the server, you can use 1 pool.

15 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 23:00

DD-VLAN1 device path and DDVLAN2 device path means in Networker I have to create 2 Data Domain System (VLAN1 and VLAN2) ?

14.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 15:00

Correct.

15 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 18:00

thanks a lot for your reply, it helps a lot...It seems like a mult-tenancy environment, where using 1 DD to serve different VLANS servers, although this is same entity here.

if 2 device path and 1 device path deduplication performance will be the same? since Global Deduplication?

14.3K Posts

January 24th, 2016 10:00

yes, DDOS uses single FS for everything so de-dupe rations are not affected.

15 Posts

March 17th, 2016 22:00

in networker server, created 2 different data domain connection (different hostname and IPs).

2 pools and 2 devices.

different VLAN servers will point to their pool accordingly.

in the DD console, able to see ddboost active connection when backup from the clients.

however, for LINUX, Windows it shown DSP is YES but Solaris Sparc DSP is NO

Networker server is Oracle LINUX (RedHat 6)

I have not try to enabled FC for DD.

all clients backup is through IP client direct to DD.

I dont know if the same device support IP client direct from clients, and FC from networker server when I do the cloning to tape of the dd pools.

14.3K Posts

March 21st, 2016 05:00

You can check HW compatibility guide.  In essence, you will always read data from DD and then write to tape ia FC path. Normally, you will use same media server for this so that data from DD is read via network and then directed down the FC path to locally attached tape on media server.

No Events found!