Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2018 05:00

Problem with mtree and directory structure

Hello all,

I've two DD640, both configured equal. They have one MTree /data/col1/backup and this one as two subfolders "dd1" and "dd2". These folders are shared by CIFS under the same name:

\\dd1\dd1\ -> Storage for Networker at location 1

\\dd1\dd2\ -> CIFS replication target for DD2

\\dd2\dd1\ -> CIFS replication target for DD1

\\dd2\dd1\ -> Storage for Networker at location 2

Now I want to migrate from CIFS to MTree replication. But as I learned, I can't create MTree /data/col1/backup/dd1 and /data/col1/backup/dd2.

So my idea was do create two new MTrees /data/col1/dd1 and /data/col1/dd2.

But the question is: how could I move the existing data from /data/col1/backup/dd1 to /data/col1/dd1 (and of course the same for dd2)? I could not find any why to move files localy. And I think to move them via CIFS is very inefficient.

Any idea?

Greetings,

Dennis

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2018 08:00

Dennis,

There's a command (via Putty or another SSH tool) on the Data Domain called "Fastcopy".  You simply issue the command "filesys fastcopy source /data/col1/backup/dd1 destination /data/col1/my_new_mtree/dd2 -- this will make a copy "on the system" of the DD1 folder and place a copy under your "my_new_mtree".  The great part is -- it's all deduplicated - so it'll take up VERY LITTLE space because it's just a bunch of pointers.  Hope this helps...

-Brian

August 21st, 2018 22:00

Hi Brian,

yes, that worked out great

Even if the data are duplicated and copying of ~6TB was very fast (took only 13 secs ), it's a realy copy and I can safely delete the old "source" MTree, right?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 08:00

That's correct.  If you do an 'mtree list' on the putty screen -- you should see your mtrees pretty much identical.  There may be a small discrepancy because there are some hidden snapshots from the fastcopy -- but you should see the size just about identical.  Personally, i like to do a directory listing from another host of the two locations and match the number of files and sizes.

Glad this helped! 

-Brian

August 23rd, 2018 23:00

Perfect, it works

Only the initialization of the new created replcation is very slow. After around 24h:

• Pre-comp Bytes Sent: 1,296,904,548,977
  • Pre-comp Bytes Remaining: 39,460,278,337,247

With this speed it will take up to ~ 1 month to complete replication

No Events found!