Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2016 09:00

data domain iperf results

Hello all. We are a new Data Domain users.   Having problems with the network performance between home and our DR box.  All the speedtest.com results we have tested show we should be getting about 86MBS on the circuit.  However on the DD side we aren't seeing anything close to that.

On the DD box, if I run the iperf from the DR site as the server and home as the client I see:

[SUM]  0.0-17.9 sec  73.0 MBytes  34.3 Mbits/sec

When I run with the home site as the server and the DR site as the client I see:

[SUM]  0.0-26.6 sec  23.0 MBytes  7.26 Mbits/sec

(Replication is NOT running during the iperf)

The confusing part is when I run with the DR site as the server and home as client, for the same test home site reports

[SUM]  0.0-19.8 sec  65.0 MBytes  27.6 Mbits/sec

But the server side reports:

[SUM]  0.0-25.2 sec  49.0 MBytes  16.3 Mbits/sec

I figured those two should at least match.

Any suggestions?

And does anyone know if there is a iperf3 version available on the DD?

73 Posts

October 14th, 2016 13:00

In my opinion I would first tackle this from a network perspective.  From my experience what you showed looks most likely the data domain is functioning as designed but the bandwidth is shared with other things besides data domain replication somewhere between source and destination.  You might need more bandwidth or prioritizing traffic on the network equipment.  Or maybe an issue in the LAN\Wan configuration of the network equipment.

Extremely rare instances I've seen physical connection issues caused by either bad cables, bad network cards or switch ports.  If you see lots of errors listed when you run ifconfig you might be running into this.

No Events found!