Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 15th, 2015 16:00

performance expectations when pulling "backup all jobs" reports?

I'm seeing what looks like a performance limitation in DPA 6.2.1 running on Windows 2008 SP1.   My environment is split btwn two servers, one for the app and one for the DS.

What I'm seeing is a *significant* delay in creating a .CSV report of "backup all jobs" reports using data obtained via a NetBackup agent running on the NBU master server.    Although I'd expect some delay (say, 15-20 mins) in pulling a report of ~13,000 backup jobs run in a single day, it's surprising to me that DPA is *still* cranking away on a report I started 19 hours ago, for a "last month" report.

Surely I can't be the only person out here running 13,000 jobs per day and using DPA .. ?

Thanks

11 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 13:00

The first thing that I'd look at would be your RAM/CPU usage during that time on the App and datastore. Maxed out? Bored?  From personal experience, we didn't request enough CPU and RAM in our VMs and paid the price until we bumped up the stats to align better with what EMC recommends.

Also, what other reports might be running? If you have a really busy environment where there's lots of other reports going on, the report could be fighting for resources. If so, I'd look into adding another app server to run along side the primary one to bring

With that said, if I'm reading your post right, it could be worth asking if a CSV with 13,000 jobs listed really necessary. If it's a data dump, intended to feed into another system for other reporting, it might be worth it to spend the calories to make a DPA report that would do the same thing and save some time.

No Events found!