Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

A

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2023 06:00

Dell Encryption: folder structure and file names visible

Hey there! I just got my new DELL Precision 5570 with Dell Encryption as an alternative to Bitlocker.

Installation was a little bit tricky (Dell Digital Delivery did not install anything, but downloading and installing it manually works) but now I have everything working.

I've checked the encryption using Live Linux and yes, the files are encrypted but I was a little confused due to the fact the whole folder and file structure is fully browsable. Is this normale behavior? Can I configure it somehow so that not every file and folder name is visible as this alone is a security risk IMO.

I guess preboot auth would help, but sadly my DELL sales person said SED or "normal" SSD would just work the same but PBA is only available with SED hard drives.

• 

146 Posts

April 4th, 2023 07:00

Hi @aergadrgdsfg,

Thanks for your post.  Dell Encryption works at the File level of the disk so your testing is spot on for expectations.  Opening a file outside of the managed OS will show cipher text and since the solution is file focused the structure of the file system is left in a plaintext state.  To your point you would need a SED or FVE type solution with PBA to fully encrypt the file table which would prevent the disk structure from being exposed when booted from an unmanaged OS. 

isProTip
No Events found!