Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

June 12th, 2018 07:00

Recover files protected by DDP\Compliance in progress

Hi all, hope someone here can help me. Our company migrated away from ddpe and unfortunately left it on my machine as a remote worker. The server is unfortunately gone and now my ddpe is stuck at compliance in progress. I need my files which are locked, heck my wedding photos are in this thing. Phone support has not been helpful to this point, I know they can be unlocked even just long enough for me to recover my files (previous posts-locksmith program etc.). Support and community please assist.

156 Posts

June 13th, 2018 05:00

Hi neoMWH,

It sounds like we may have lost access to key data on your device. Would you be able to confirm this for us? you can do so by opening the Local Management Console (the "Dell Data Protection" or "Dell Encryption" "black" console), click the question mark in the upper right, and then click "about". This screen should show you a "Shield ID" if the text is red, then we have lost access to key data. if the text is blue/teal/green (it's a different color to everyone it seems :) ), we may be looking at a separate issue.

Are you still in contact with the company that managed the keys? if so, we can work with them to pull backup data from any backups that they have available, to attempt to recover your system. This would typically require a call into the Dell ProSupport for Software queues. 

If you have attempted to open a ticket, please direct-message me the ticket number (Service Request number), and we can dig in to see what we can do to assist :)

4 Posts

June 13th, 2018 06:00

Dale,

The Sheild ID is definitely red, and I am still in contact with the company as I still work for them. The server was shut down over 3 months ago and the backups are now gone. I tried calling support but was told there's nothing he can do and did not open a ticket. I'll pm you the contact info for our corp support engineer who has been working with me on this to see if anything else can be found for recovery but likely not.

4 Posts

August 24th, 2018 02:00

Still no reply, no solutions nothing, can someone help me get my **bleep** wedding pictures before my wife makes me insane?

156 Posts

August 24th, 2018 05:00

Hi neoMWH@neoMWH

Sadly we need to get a ticket open. I had reached out to the contact that you had mentioned, and received no reply.

Would it be possible for you to help connect us with the administrator at this environment via a Service Request? If the Dell Data Protection Server has been decommissioned and the database is no longer available, there may not be a way to retrieve this data, as we have no back-doors, and all recovery or decryption requires access to the encryption key data stored in the database for the Dell Data Protection Server.

If we are able to get a call going with our team and the IT team that managed the Dell Data Protection environment, then we can talk about potential actions, but sadly the group you had pointed me to via DM did not give any real feedback :(

To open a request with our team, you can leverage the numbers here:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297692

3 Posts

August 6th, 2019 09:00

Hi neoMWH,

Were you able to get access to your files? I had the same thing happen to me. Please let me know if you were able to access them and how. Thank you!!

Todd

August 6th, 2019 15:00

@talewand2 

Sorry to hear that you are having issues accessing data. Per @dell-dale p :

"It sounds like we may have lost access to key data on your device. Would you be able to confirm this for us? you can do so by opening the Local Management Console (the "Dell Data Protection" or "Dell Encryption" "black" console), click the question mark in the upper right, and then click "about". This screen should show you a "Shield ID" if the text is red, then we have lost access to key data. if the text is blue/teal/green (it's a different color to everyone it seems  ), we may be looking at a separate issue."

Could you check on your access in the LMC? Also are you using the enterprise or personal version of Dell Encryption?

-Brian

L4 | Dell Data Security #IWork4Dell

3 Posts

August 8th, 2019 08:00

Hello, It is the enterprise version from my company. Yes, I don't have access. They retired the Dell server without telling me. Now the external drive is encrypted and I can't get access to it.

Todd

3 Posts

August 8th, 2019 08:00

Please let me know what I can do or if there is any company, anywhere, for whatever it costs, that can remove the encryption.

August 8th, 2019 11:00

@talewand2 

The enterprise version of the software requires access to the key material (located on server) in order unlock the data. I would suggest reaching out to that company to see if they have a back-up of the database where the key material was stored in an effort to unlock the data. 

-Brian

L4 | Dell Data Security #IWork4Dell

No Events found!