Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 2nd, 2018 07:00

Firmware Updates Failing

Hi,

I've deployed OpenManage Enterprise 3.0 into one of our lab environments. It consists of an M1000e enclosure loaded with 9 x M630 blades. Internet access is available via a proxy.

I've set-up the appliance without any issues, the blades and enclosure have been loaded into the OME. The blades are displayed as 'managed'.

I've configured the appliance to use the internet proxy, and have successfully created a Catalog which is using the latest firmware from dell.com. This successfully creates, and shows 73 bundles available with a release date of Feb 26. From here I've created a firmware baseline and applied it to the blades.

When I attempt to upgrade the firmware on the blades it's correctly showing a number of updates which need to be made. This includes system BIOS, emulex firmware and a few other items. Whether I select "Update Now", or "Stage for next server reboot" the job always fails. Unlike OpenManage Essentials where you had some details behind why the job has failed... for example whether OME failed to download the files from dell.com, or it couldn't send the files to the iDRAC. In this case the job output, even viewing the details just says the job has "failed". This is pretty unhelpful as I'm none the wiser to why it's failed.

Looking at the target iDRAC card I'm not seeing anything in the job queue to suggest OME3 is even attempting to send anything to the iDRAC. I've reset the iDRAC and cleared the job queue and it's still failing.

Something I'm unsure of is the protocol being used for downloading from Dell.com. In OME 2.x you could specify protocols to include/exclude such as HTTPS/HTTP/FTP. I'm not seeing the ability to set that in OME3. In my environment the FTP protocol will not work. But I really would expect to see better output for why a job has failed.

Advice would be most welcome on resolving this issue

Many Thanks. 

2.8K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 08:00

Hi there and thanks for the post.

We've seen a few folks having issues with pushing multiple updates to a server.

Firstly, can you double check the port table in the user guide.  It may not be related to this since you are already using OMEss and that's probably sorted out.  OMEnt uses an internal NFS share to download the catalog and dups to if that matters.

Can you try pushing just a single update to a single iDRAC to see if we get that kicked off?  That might ensure the wires are all connected.

Thanks,

Rob

13 Posts

March 2nd, 2018 08:00

Hi Rob.

Many thanks for the quick response. As per your suggestion I tried a few things.

Firstly, a single server doing a single update. In this case a system BIOS update. This worked without issue. The job log in OME had much more information present, and there was the relevant job queue entries on the target iDRAC.

I then tried a single update again on a different server. This time I tried the iDRAC firmware (2.30 -> 2.50). This job failed. Again, no details in the job execution detail for the failure, and no jobs created on the target iDRAC. I tried this on 2 servers, and both failed. However, I then tried doing a single System BIOS update on the same servers and these jobs worked.

I then tried taking 2 servers, and applying two updates to each. These were System BIOS and iDRAC firmware. These jobs failed. I'm wondering whether the iDRAC firmware update could be an issue. It doesn't seem to want to apply via OME on it's own.

I finally tried a single server system BIOS update, this time using the option to stage the update and apply at the next reboot. Initially the job failed, upon re-submission it worked.

2.8K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 13:00

Ok, these test results look useful in that it shows you have seem to be ok as far as the internal NFS share and connectivity to the iDRACs back and forth.  But I'm not clear on why you are getting hung up on multiples or why a re-try would make any difference.  

I'm assuming you are operating on a fairly decent internal network.

We should get a ticket so the support folks can try to chase it down and collect logs.  As you point out, we are sparse on log info, which we are working to improve.  Also make sure you are checking in Monitor | Jobs in the task execution history details of the job--you may have already done this.

Thx

Rob

--

I'll put the phone number here, but I need to enter it in a goofy format since this forum software strips out a lot of numbers.

8-0-0-9-4-5-3-3-5-5

13 Posts

March 5th, 2018 01:00

Hi Rob.

I'll try and get a case raised later today. The internal network here is completely normal. The OME appliance is actually running on one of these blades as they're all part of the lab VMware cluster. The physical connectivity is via a pair of B22 modules in the M1000 chassis.

Many Thanks... James

1 Message

March 7th, 2018 04:00

Hi Rob,

I am using Dell OpenManage Enterprise. I do not have internet access. I wish to download a firmware baseline.

What is the link for the download. Will it be a list of cab files, which one would it be for ESXI poweredge m630 VRTX'S ?

2.8K Posts

March 7th, 2018 06:00

Hi @mshaoul

Maybe you are looking for the Repository Manager tool?  This allows you to build a catalog and use it offline with OpenManage Enterprise.

Give this a look.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1767.dell-emc-repository-manager-drm

Thanks!

Rob

1 Message

June 3rd, 2018 02:00

Not sure if it helps folks, but I was having this exact issue after deploying OME for the first time in an environment at the end of last week - updates showing as available in the baseline, but unable to deploy (even individual packages). I ran out of time troubleshooting, and came back to it today to find it's all working.

I'm working on the theory that OME just hadn't downloaded the packages from Dell, but the lack of access to any useful logs on the appliance means it's likely to stay a hunch. 

(any chance we could get some better logging for the failures in a future release, and also show download status of packages for a baseline?) 

No Events found!