Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2018 03:00

How to Delete Discovery Groups - Not Jobs

Hi, new to OME so hopefully this is something obvious I'm missing...

I created a number of Discovery Jobs when I first deployed which were just single IP addresses to add single iDRAC instances. Now that I understand the product a bit better, I went back in and created larger discovery jobs to grab a greater number of iDRACs.

I deleted the original iDRAC entries and all associated discovery jobs. I then created my new, larger discovery jobs and re-added those iDRACs back to OME.

All is well, however, now I have a large number of orphaned discovery groups without any members. I can't seem to find any way to delete these now-empty discovery groups. They're not really a problem, just messy so I'd like to clean it up.

I did do a services restart, to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

2.8K Posts

September 14th, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the post.

Yeah, so for OMEnt v3.0 (just released) I think the notion of Discovery Groups might have been dropped.  Unfortunately, we don't "clean up" or remove them.  However, if you do a fresh install of v3.0, you won't see them going forward.  

Thanks much,

Rob

1K Posts

September 10th, 2018 01:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Are you asking about the custom groups that are created in Devices pages or the group that gets created in the discovery page?

For either of them, when you select the group, you should be getting the Delete option to delete the group. In discovery page, you need to select the group and Delete option should get enabled on the top. For devices page, you will need to click on the 3 vertical dots that are shown next to the group name and in the drop down you will get the option to delete the group. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if it is something else that you are asking about.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2018 06:00

Hello Puplul, and thanks for your reply.

What you're describing sounds logical and straightforward, but it's not been my experience.

The groups I'm talking about are under "All Devices" -> "Discovery Groups"

When you create a Discovery Job, the results of that job are populated into automatically created groups in this section using the name of the discovery job.

I have since deleted the actual discovery jobs associated as well as the devices. I've re-discovered those same devices later using larger, more appropriate and easy-to-manage discovery jobs.

2018-09-11_9-21-04.png

That means I have a large number of now empty "Discovery Groups" with no apparent way to delete them.

If I click on one within the Devices area, the Delete button is grayed out. The "More Actions" drop-down only has one item in it, "Export All".

None of which allow me to delete the group. All in all, this is purely cosmetic, but I'd still very much like to clean it up.

Thanks again for any assistance, kind regards,

Adam

1K Posts

September 16th, 2018 23:00

That is right, like Rob mentioned in OMEnterprise 3.0, Discovery groups have been removed. So, when you upgrade to 3.0, the stale groups that you see will automatically get cleaned up.

3 Posts

September 17th, 2018 07:00

Thanks, that seems like a pretty large oversight. I'm glad I hadn't been using OME for long. It wasn't a huge project to wipe it and re-install but I'd hope there would have been a better way.

Regardless, thanks for letting me know!

Thanks,
Adam

No Events found!