Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2014 04:00

I keep getting the following error

Results:
Downloading Packages.
Package Network_Firmware_T3TVN_WN32_7.8.16.EXE failed to download on target device. Update failed.
Software Update Task Failed.

I'm trying to push the firmware update to a remote ESXi box and this error keeps popping up.  I've tried three times, rebooted the server, reset the iDrac and still it won't install.

10 Posts

February 4th, 2014 11:00

Hi Everyone,

I'm having the same issue.  I have a new environment and I believe all the prereqs are set up (DNS is working, internet access, etc...)

When trying to do an update, I get:

Package(s) copied ftp://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01271939M/1/ESM_Firmware_C1GG0_WN32_3.50_A00.EXE

Which looks good, but then:

Results:
Downloading Packages.
Package ESM_Firmware_C1GG0_WN32_3.50_A00.EXE failed to download on target device. Update failed.
Software Update Task Failed.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can even troubleshoot this?  Any more detailed logs or anything?

Thanks!

Paul

2.8K Posts

February 4th, 2014 12:00

Hi and thanks for the post.

Is this an 11G server by chance? We have this post and I wonder if it is related.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4494/p/19467109/20233059.aspx#20233059

Thanks,

Rob

10 Posts

February 4th, 2014 12:00

Hey Rob,

I believe its an 11G (I'm new to Dell servers so not positive on this).  Its running DRAC6, heres some system info:

Poweredge M610

DRAC6 (Firmware 3.2.0)

BIOS 3.0.0

Not sure what else to include..

140 Posts

February 5th, 2014 04:00

The two servers that are showing this error for me at a T420 and a R710, I also already have iDRAC version 1.96 loaded which is higher than the 1.85 in the cross linked post.

327 Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

Couple of things you can try:

Try applying this package using iDRAC GUI (https://iDRAC IP Address) on one of the servers.

If the package gets applied thru' iDRAC GUI then, go back to OME console and re-initiate the updates.

After initiating the updates, run this command every 5-10 seconds on one of the server iDRAC until update fails:

winrm e cimv2/root/dcim/DCIM_LifecycleJob -u:username -p:password -SkipCNcheck -SkipCAcheck -r:https://iDRAC IPAddress/wsman:443 -auth:basic -encoding:utf-8

Note: Provide actual values for username, password and iDRAC IP address.

Does iDRAC have https access from OME server ? Right click on the iDRAC device in OME device tree and launch iDRAC console to verify https access.

Thanks,

Raj Shresta

10 Posts

February 6th, 2014 08:00

Hi Raj,

I just ran the command line as it was updating from the OME, and this was the big error that I saw:

DCIM_LifecycleJob
Caption
CommunicationStatus
DeleteOnCompletion
Description
DetailedStatus
ElapsedTime
ElementName
ErrorCode
ErrorDescription
HealthState
InstallDate
InstanceID = JID_001391710505
JobRunTimes
JobStartTime = TIME_NA
JobState
JobStatus = Failed
JobUntilTime = TIME_NA
LocalOrUtcTime
Message = Dell Update Package Download failed.
MessageArguments
MessageID = RED006
Name = update:DCIM:INSTALLED:NONPCI:15051:3.20
Notify
OperatingStatus
OtherRecoveryAction
Owner
PercentComplete = NA
PrimaryStatus
Priority
RecoveryAction
RunDay
RunDayOfWeek
RunMonth
RunStartInterval
ScheduledStartTime
StartTime
Status
TimeBeforeRemoval
TimeOfLastStateChange
TimeSubmitted
UntilTime

One question I have:  Does the DRAC itself need internet/ftp access, or just the OME server?  Does the file get transferred from OME to the DRAC, or from the dell ftp server directly to the DRAC?  These servers do not have ftp access, I would prefer just the OME server to get the updates and then transfer them to the DRACs themselves.

10 Posts

February 6th, 2014 14:00

I just had a thought that maybe there was something silly like firewalls or something blocking access to our local OME server, so I turned off all firewalls between the two computers (just the one on the OME server, they're on the same network), and now I'm getting this:

DCIM_LifecycleJob
Caption
CommunicationStatus
DeleteOnCompletion
Description
DetailedStatus
ElapsedTime
ElementName
ErrorCode
ErrorDescription
HealthState
InstallDate
InstanceID = JID_001391729685
JobRunTimes
JobStartTime = TIME_NA
JobState
JobStatus = Failed
JobUntilTime = TIME_NA
LocalOrUtcTime
Message = Package verification failed.
MessageArguments
MessageID = RED007
Name = update:DCIM:INSTALLED:NONPCI:15051:3.20
Notify
OperatingStatus
OtherRecoveryAction
Owner
PercentComplete = NA
PrimaryStatus
Priority
RecoveryAction
RunDay
RunDayOfWeek
RunMonth
RunStartInterval
ScheduledStartTime
StartTime
Status
TimeBeforeRemoval
TimeOfLastStateChange
TimeSubmitted
UntilTime

So it can download it now, and I saw the connection open in the OME server...so how do we re-verify the package?  Or how do I delete the existing package and re download it?

10 Posts

March 26th, 2014 14:00

Bump for this.  I've updated to v1.3, still having issues.  Any help on this?  Calling Dell support is terrible because they want a service tag for a product that has no service tag, so I ultimately get the wrong technicians who don't know the product.

10 Posts

Not a bad idea.  Unfortunately all of my servers were purchased in Germany (and I'm in the US, and also don't speak German), so giving them any support keys can sometimes be a real pain.  Still, I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the response.  Anyone else with any ideas?

140 Posts

Parmand,

When I call in I give them a service tag of a in warranty server and instruct the Dell rep that I'm calling about the openmanage product and I've never had issue getting to the correct people, unless that process of routing has changed within the last month or so since I've last called that should work for you.

I may have to repeat myself a few times.....but I do get to the correct technicians who know the OME product pretty well.

No Events found!