Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2012 12:00

Managed devices and OMSA

Hello All,

Could you help me with these questions?

1. I deployed OMSA to 70 windows servers and got result 66 of 70 installed succesfully (Job detail). However, I still see OMSA old version from OME console or login locally. Any ideas?

2, There are some servers which are showing a grey question mark under health status. Those server have been installed with OMSA ver 7.0. However, when I login locally and opened OMSA and got this below login windows. Do you know why are they different?

And the same OMSA version, those servers are showing with login windows, showing OK under heath status:

29 Posts

Hi Abhijit,

Thanks again.  For sencond question, I know that I have to enter admin account to login. However, why some servers, when I opened OMSA, I got the login windows as the first pix. Some servers, when I opened OMSA, I did not get the login windows and logged in directly as second pix. Both situations, I used domain admin account to login. I asked this question because those servers that pop-up login windows, are showing grey question mark under health status. I tried to find out if there are any relating of both.

Best regards,

Joshua_n

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Hi Joshua_n,

The second part of response was about refreshing health status. It is possible that OME has not retrieved the updated health status yet. That's why it is showing up as unknown. You can either force the update or wait for the regular health poll status to kick in. Those servers should show appropriate health within few hours of upgrade.

The login window you see, is from OMSA. You will have to specify admin credentials to login to OMSA web interface.

Regards

Abhijit

29 Posts

Hi Abhijit,

Thanks very much for your help. Yes, the inventory cycle ran last night completely and I ran it manually this mornig too. I deployed OMSA to windows server yesterday.

Also, do you have any ideas regarding questions number 2?

Regards,

Joshua_n

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

It is possible that the inventory cycle is not run after you installed OMSA on your servers. By default inventory runs once per day. You can kick off inventory manually by clicking on the discovery range for those servers and selecting "Perform discovery and inventory now" option. After the inventory data is gathered, OME will be able to show updated versions.

You can do the same for refreshing health status by selecting "Perform Status polling now" option.

Regards

Abhijit

29 Posts

July 13th, 2012 13:00

Sorry for typo. Understood now :)

Regards,

Joshua_n

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Hi Joshua_n,

OME doesn't support single sign-on between OMSA and OME. Unless you have browser remember the credentials, OMSA will ask you for login information when you connect.

It is possible that your session information was preserved when you logged on to OMSA for the first time and it allowed you to open OMSA web interface again without logging in since you were in the same session. There should not be difference in behavior for login across different OMSA versions.

Regards

Abhijit

29 Posts

Hi Abhijit,

I understool now. Many thanks!!!

Regards,

Joshua_n

29 Posts

July 16th, 2012 07:00

Hi Abhijit,

Would you please give me some directions regarding question number 1 & 2 again:

Question #1: after inventory cylcle ran serveral times, the OMSA are still showing old version. Yesterday, I created another package to re-deploy OMSA to servers again. The job was completed successfully 75 of 84. The scheduled inventory ran and I did it manually too. However, the result is still the same, still showing OMSA old version.

Question #2: Some servers are still showing grey question mark under " health status". I checked those server under OME console, ONLY Windows management intrumentation appears under software agent information. I logged in those servers and confirmed that OMSA has been installed.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Joshua_n

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

July 16th, 2012 08:00

Hi Joshua_n,

Regarding question 1, when you login to the target server, do those show updated version of OMSA? My question is whether OMSA version is updated and OME is not showing it or whether the OMSA version is still old and is not updated. If later is the case, you might want to make sure you are cloning the sample OMSA upgrade windows task so that the upgrade parameters are passed to the OMSA installer. If the target servers show updated version on OMSA when you login but OME is showing older version, you can try deleting those server and run discovery/inventory again.

Regarding question 2, Looks like OME is not able to communicate with OMSA as OMSA is not showing up under Software Agent information. Are you using SNMP or WMI to communicate to those servers? Try running troubleshooting tool against one of these servers and check if you see an entry for OMSA in the results.

Regards

Abhijit

29 Posts

July 16th, 2012 08:00

Hi Abhijit,

Thank you for your directions:

Question #1: I logged in the target servers, I found that the OMSA is till showing old versiosn. I cloned the sample OMSA upgrade windows task. The deploy task showed 75/84 (successfully / total targets)

Question # 2: I am using snmp to communicate to those servers. If I ran a troubleshoot tools to test the snmp to target server, I got this:

1.SNMP

MIB-II    (system name)                         (server name)

Broadcom (no of adaptors present)      2

Regards,

Joshua_n

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

July 16th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the updates Joshua_n.

It looks like the OMSA version on the target servers is not upgraded. Which file are you using as source for the OMSA update? It should be the Sysmgmt.msi for the OMSa version you want to deploy. I would say try creating a new task just for one server by following the OMSA deploy white paper.

Also looking at some of the threads on the same topic might be helpful.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4494/p/19444669/20087108.aspx#20087108

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4494/p/19450032/20109221.aspx#20109221

Regarding question #2, the server doesn't seems to be configured correctly. If it has OMSA installed, it should show up in the response in troubleshooting tool.Can you verify if OMSA services are running properly on the target servers?

Regards

Abhijit

29 Posts

July 17th, 2012 06:00

Hello Abhijit,

Thank you very much for your info.  I worked with Jeff from Dell yesterday and here is some info for reference

Question #1: We are still not able to deploy OMSA to target devices eventhough the deployment job was successful. However, when we logged in the target devices still show old OMSA version (We tested from version 6.5 to 7.0). We uninstalled the old version and deployed again. However, it still shows old version. We can upgrade to version 7.0 locally ( not deploy). Jeff will help me again.

Questions #2: Jeff found that my devices showing a grey question mark under health status even OMSA installed locally because they are PE SC1435. Those devices (1435) could not be managed by OME completely. There is one OMSA service running instead of 4.

Regards,

Joshua_n

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

July 17th, 2012 07:00

Hi Joshua_n,

Thanks for the updates. For the first question you can try the following steps

1. Make sure the OMSA package selected from the task is getting copied at C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\Essentials\SystemUpdate\Packages

2. On OME box, open windows task manager. Check if any instance of omremote.exe is running, if yes kill all the instances.

3. Restart Task Manager Service

4. On the MN, open windows task manager. Check if any instance of omexec.exe is running if yes kill all the instances.

5. On the MN, open windows task manager. Check if any instance of RunBada.exe is running if yes kill all the instances.

6. Delete Windows/Temp directory

7. Delete %Temp% directory

Try OMSA update again.

Regarding question #2, you can take a look at OME support matrix located below. It lists all the supported devices. SC series is not supported fully.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/ome/en/matrix/matrix.pdf

Regards

Abhijit

29 Posts

July 17th, 2012 11:00

Hi Abhijit,

Thank you for the link. This is very helpful doc. I followed your directions regarding question # 1. However, I am still not able to upgrade them. Would you please check this upgrade install arguments for me:

REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=VOMUS

OR

REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=VAMUS

Regards,

Joshua_n

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

July 17th, 2012 12:00

Hi Joshua_n,

REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=VOMUS

is the recommended argument for upgrade. VAMUS option supporesses the signature check while forcing the installation.

Regards

Abhijit

No Events found!