Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2012 13:00

OME and inventorying Debian 6.0

Hello,

I just recently installed OpenManage Essentials and I am running into some problems with it inventorying our M610 blades.  I have researched this issue and have not been able to come up with a solution.  I was wondering if someone could please help me.

Our M610 blades are running Debian 6.0/squeeze and has OMSA 7.0 installed on it.  I got OMSA 7.0 from:

http://linux.dell.com/repo/community/deb/latest/

OMSA is running and I am able to get to it via web browser.

I also followed these instructions and still couldn't get OME to inventory my blade correctly.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4494/t/19425042.aspx 

Here is my snmpd.conf file

#####

com2sec	OMEuser	default	XXXX
group OMEGroup v1 OMEuser
group OMEGroup v2c OMEuser
view all included .1
view systemview included .1.3.6.1.2.1.1
view systemview included .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1
access OMEGroup "" any noauth exact all none none

smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1
#####
When I use the Trouble Shooting tool from Dell and I test the snmp configurations I do get a 
response back from the blade.  It reads:
MIBII(system name) 

Also when you go to OME and look at the details of this hosts you see NIC information
but that is all the information you get. No service tag, model, device type, health,
etc..

Once again I really appreciate the help.  Please let me know if you need any 
more information.    

Thanks!!!

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Thanks for the post.

So I know we officially support RHEL and SLES...but anyway, let's see....

When you run the TS tool, the SNMP result set should include the version of OMSA.  If you don't see that, then there is something not right on your managed node setup (probably).  

Also, can you confirm that the SNMP community string is correct.  Be _sure_ to remember it is case sensitive.

And finally, FAQ 6.2 talks about Linux inventory a bit.  

en.community.dell.com/.../3265.openmanage-essentials-faq.aspx

That should get us started...

Rob

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Oh, yeah, there is a tutorial page in OME on Linux managed node setup.  Maybe worth a look.  It is an updated version of the page you referenced.

Rob

May 22nd, 2012 14:00

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply and help.  

Yes the community string is correct.  I replaced my community string with X's (for security reasons).

That is correct I do not see the version of OMSA when I run the SNMP configuration test.  

Please correct me if I am wrong but if I didn't have OMSA installed correctly on my blade I wouldn't be able to access OMSA via web browser https://ipaddr:1311.  OMSA via web gives me all the details of the blade.  It's not sending the data to OME.

Once again thank you.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 15:00

Sure, no problem.

Your assumption may not be correct.  The browser may indeed work, but you may have a problem with the inventory collector.  Double check FAQ 6.4.

thx!

Rob

May 23rd, 2012 14:00

I have been reading a lot about the inventory collector and how Dell doesn't support a Debian version of it.

Is there a 64 bit version of the inventory collector (srvadmin-cm) for Debian?  

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

May 24th, 2012 10:00

Pretty sure this is not available.  You may call 800-945-3355 to double check.

No Events found!