Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AA

July 25th, 2018 12:00

OME to patch workstations

WAAAAAYYY back in 2012, @DELL-Rob C said

OME does not have support for workstations or desktops.  We are looking at adding these in a future release.

I know this was from 2012, so I'm hoping that this capability been added. 

If so, HOW?!?

We have hundreds of Dell workstations and laptops. 

I've enabled SNMP on my workstation. 

I've installed Dell Command Update and Dell Command Monitor, then rebooted. 

I've installed OpenManage Essentials on a server in the same domain. 

I've configured the network discovery range, and my workstation is found, identified, and has a green square with check mark. 

I've Refreshed Inventory and Refreshed status on my listed workstation. 

Only my servers show up in System Update. 

How do I get to the point where I can push drivers, Firmware, BIOS, etc to workstations? 

All credit goes to the great and powerful Google! 

That's how I found it. 

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Oh man great memory or web searching!! :)

Yep, so OpenManage Essentials did indeed add client support.  OpenManage Enterprise has not.

See if this whitepaper helps.  But maybe WMI, not SNMP.

Thanks,

Rob

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20218168

www.delltechcenter.com/ome

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 25th, 2018 13:00

Ah right...so that the the part on page 5 of the whitepaper :)

e.g., firmware updates are not supported.  Basically, just disc/monitor/inventory/logs.

And that, is not currently planned for either OMEss or OMEnt.

I'll definitely pass along your interest in this feature to the right folks.

Are you getting the workstations to show up on the device tree now with inventory, etc.?

Thanks,

Rob

Thank you!

I have SNMP and WMI discovery configured, with domain administrative credentials entered and tested. 

I have tested WMImgmt.msc configuration, and the connection tests successfully. 

The Windows Manage Instrumentation Service is started, Automatic, running as Local System, but isn't checked to interact with the desktop. 

I have PowerShell 3 installed on my workstation. 

I have PS-remoting configured. 

I have WS-Man configured. 

I am still unable to get my workstation to appear in System Update. 

Oh man I had hoped it would have been added by now. 

To your question, yes my devices show up with the discovery and inventory process. However, I've not pushed Dell Command Monitor out via Group Policy yet. I have experimented on my workstation only. 

Yes PLEASE if you can forward that request, and also please update us here in the forums on the response. I'm confident that some members here would be glad to Beta test that feature. 

2 Posts

April 19th, 2019 12:00

What solution are some of you using to manage Dell provided firmware/driver updates for Dell workstations? Our typical client will have 15-20 Dell PC's onsite.

We use ConnectWise Automate for Microsoft and third party updates. Using Command Center to keep BIOS, drivers, and firmware up to date on the 1,000+ Dell PC's across our client base is time intensive since I need to connect to each PC individually.

-Mike

April 21st, 2019 22:00

No Events found!