Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DV

June 29th, 2017 05:00

OpenManage Essentials version 2.3 launched with lot more exciting features addressing suggestions/requests by our users

Hi OME Users,

We are excited to announce the launch of OpenManage Essentials (OME) version 2.3.For a complete list of features and enhancements in version 2.3, please visit the OpenManage Essential TechCenter page.

Also, there are white papers available on the OpenManage Essential TechCenter page that explain the new features and use cases of OME 2.3:

• Dell EMC OpenManage Essentials – SNMPv3 Support (v2.3) (NEW)
  • Dell EMC OpenManage Essentials – Device Support (v2.3) (NEW)
  • Managing Modular Infrastructure by using OpenManage Essentials (OME) (v2.3) (NEW)
  • Editing and Deploying Server Template by using Dell EMC OpenManage Essentials (OME) (v2.3) (NEW)
  • REST API for Interfacing with OpenManage Essentials

We will be glad to hear the feedback from you here.

Thanks,
Vijay.

90 Posts

July 4th, 2017 11:00

Hello,

Do you know if the WSMAN discovery issue with proxy is solved in this version? 

See http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4494/t/19985638

July 5th, 2017 04:00

Hi E-JP,

OME 2.3 still uses winrm plugin for communication and many of the customers are on 2.1/2.2 with their iDRACs/CMCs discovering fine.

Thanks,
Vijay.

90 Posts

July 5th, 2017 06:00

So you can not really confirm if the proxy issue is solved or not. I will hate losing a full day to test the new version if it is not working.

90 Posts

July 5th, 2017 09:00

Hello Vijay,

I think the main cause is because OME is using IP for wsman discovery and winrm do not resolve IP. So, in our situation:

netsh winhttp show proxy

Current WinHTTP proxy settings:

Proxy Server(s) : proxy.mydomain.org:3128
Bypass List : ;*.mydomain.org

winrm e cimv2/root/dcim/DCIM_LCEnumeration -u:root -r:8GFGY12.mydomain.org/wsman -SkipCNcheck -SkipCAcheck -encoding:utf-8 -a:basic

will work

winrm e cimv2/root/dcim/DCIM_LCEnumeration -u:root -r:https://10.136.177.140/wsman -SkipCNcheck -SkipCAcheck -encoding:utf-8 -a:basic

will fail after  several seconds with error

Error number: -2144108270 0x80338112
The connection to the specified remote host was refused. Verify that the WS-Management service is running on the remote host and configured to listen for requests on the correct port and HTTP URL.

And yes, dns record is okay, I can ping and nslookup it. 

July 5th, 2017 09:00

Hi E-JP,

There is no change in ws-man plugin to what it was in OME 2.1/OME 2.2. However, now we have enabled discovery/inventory to work when ICMP protocol is disabled in the datacenter environment.

I looked at the thread you mentioned and it does not tell exactly what proxy settings in the environment was causing the discovery/inventory to fail in 2.1. Can you give more details about the same, so that we can confirm whether the issue is addressed in 2.3 or not?

Thanks,
Vijay.

116 Posts

July 6th, 2017 00:00

Hi E-JP,

This is not fixed in OME 2.3 as well. I am sorry about that.

Work around would be adding ip subnet also in your proxy bypass list like 10.136.177.*.

90 Posts

July 6th, 2017 08:00

Hello,

We have several(!) subnets so this will be painful. But I will give it a try. Thank you.

JP

July 14th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

OME 2.1 to 2.3 upgrade is simple and straight forward. 

Just launch the OME 2.3 installer on the system where 2.1 is installed and it will guide through simple steps (Refer installer whitepaper for details).

The systems with OMSA agents will still give the same inventory as in 2.1 after upgrade to OME 2.3.

Thanks,
Vijay.

61 Posts

July 14th, 2017 07:00

Hi

We are currently on 2.1.0

Is the upgrade procedure easy and straight forward?

Are older clients running older OMSA agents still supported, as it would be a pain to upgrade those.?

8 Posts

July 19th, 2017 23:00

Hey Vijay,

I currently work for VMWare as a contractor. I've been tasked with setting up and configuring the OME for us. I noticed that it's listed to support 11th, 12th, and 13th Generation servers. However, we have 300+ 14th Generation servers rolling in.

Will OME get a new update to support 14th Generation servers, or will I need to purchase a License for us to manage these servers? If so, can you tell me the cost of the license, so I may speak to our procurment team?

Sincerely,

Thomas

July 20th, 2017 00:00

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for the details. Good news! The latest OME 2.3 supports 14th generation servers (See OME 2.3 support matrix @ www.dell.com/.../manuals)

Regarding licensing, OME is a free tool and the features like Discovery/Inventory, monitoring, updates, etc. are free features. Only server configuration and deployment features requires "OME Server Configuration" license on the target nodes. See "License Info" section @ en.community.dell.com/.../1989.openmanage-essentials.

For more details about license like costing, please contact Dell Support.

Thanks
Vijay

8 Posts

July 20th, 2017 18:00

Hey Vijay,

Thanks for the confirmation! That's one less headache for me to deal with! I appreciate the speedy response! I'll be sure to come back with any ideas or bugs I find!

Sincerely,

Thomas Bussell
VMWare DC Tech Ops

90 Posts

July 21st, 2017 06:00

Hello,

We have just noticed that inventory doesn't update even if the remote server was rebooted. We have to delete the device and start a new discovery/inventory.

On a side note, all DRACs must have a valid certificate. Any expired certificate will prevent OME to inventory/classify the device. It was not a problem in OME 2.0

61 Posts

July 21st, 2017 07:00

What about if you don't use an certs for idracs? 

90 Posts

July 21st, 2017 07:00

It is not an option in our infra.

No Events found!