Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2016 08:00

SNMP monitoring using Dell Open Manager

I want to monitor my server which is 2008 R2 with SNMP protocol.

I just wonder if I could enable SNMP and install the tool on my PC to remotely monitor the server?

I would like to avoid installing the tool on the server since it is a lack of C drive's disk space.

Also does C drive's disk space and memory usage have something to do with enabling SNMP? Like Once I enable SNMP the disk space will be not enough or the server itself will be frozen because of being not enough memory etc?

That is my concern. Can someone please advise me for this?

April 4th, 2016 00:00

Hi SBL02,

I thinki it's possible to install it on your PC when you meet the requirements.

You have to enanble snmp on your PC and set the SNMP desitnation on the server(s) to make it work.

also enabling port 161 and 162 is necessary on your firewall.

let's hear the results okay.

greetz Peter

April 4th, 2016 06:00

OpenManage Essentials is officially not supported to run on a desktop OS. See the Support Matrix

Supported operating systems for management stations

• Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter Editions
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter Editions
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard and Enterprise Editions
  • Windows Server 2008 SP2 (x64) Standard and Enterprise Editions
  • NOTE: OpenManage Essentials version is supported only on 64-bit operating systems.
  • NOTE: The Wow64 component is required to run on a 64-bit operating system.

• NOTE: OpenManage Essentials is also supported on virtual machines.

22 Posts

April 4th, 2016 15:00

The SNMP agent is a .dll of only a few mb in size, there is no database or anything like that. So you should be able to add it to your server without any problem.

However, SNMP monitoring does not work very well in OpenManage, at least I can't get much of anything out of it. I think you would be much better off sacrificing a couple of GB of space and installing the OpenManage agent.

No Events found!