Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2012 13:00

Some really, really basic questions

We inherited a bunch of Dell 2950 servers which we are running OracleVM (Xen hypervisor 4.1.2).  Our objective is to remotely manage the servers and it looks like Essentials is the right product for us.  If I understand things correctly we need to install the OpenManage Service Administrator agent on each machine, correct?  Are there any other alternatives that do not require installation of software?  Some of the servers have DRAC-V card installed.  Is the DRAC card an alternative to installing software?

Sorry about my ingorance but I think I'm missing some essential infmraoiton that I just can seem to get my arms around.

AJ

OK, next question...  Can OMSE be installed on a guest operating system running on the host rather than on the VM server itself?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Hi AJ,

Thanks for your post. To manage the servers effectively, you will have to install OpenManage Server Administrator on those servers. This will allow OME to classify the servers correctly, get inventory information and monitor hardware health for those servers.

You can discover just the DRACs but it won't give you the detailed hardware inventory and you won't be able to monitor overall server health.

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 14:00

OMSA has to be installed on the host server. It is for monitoring hardware health of the host and there isn't really hardware health for Virtual machines.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

May 25th, 2012 08:00

And just to be clear since we have so many acronyms :-)

OMSA (Server Administrator) is installed on each physical host server that you want to discover as Abhijit mentions above.  These are your Managed Nodes (MN).

OME (Essentials) is your management station.  You install this *one* time on either a VM or a physical box.  It will discover your MNs that have OMSA.

Good luck,

Rob

No Events found!