Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2015 03:00

Unknown 3rd party devices

Hi,

We have a range of HP switches that we would like to add into the OME monitoring.

SNMP has been configured and currently the hostname and IP addresses of the switches are being pulled through which is a good start. Using the HP-SWITCH-TRAP-MIB I have managed to get any events logged from the switches to display the model number of the switch (although it only seems to say that the event is an RMON event with no extra details) however, within the device details, everything is still coming back unclassified.

I was hoping somebody had some pointers in regards to getting this information, as I am unsure where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

7 Posts

Hi Ranveer,

Thanks for the info. I have already downloaded and imported many of the HP MIBs however these only seem to effect the trap alerts, replacing OID's with useful information.

What I would like is for more details other than the Hostname and IP Address displaying when you look at the device within OME.

Regards,

Janrabbit

96 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for your post!

You can make use of Dell MIB Import Utility which gets installed along with OME, it will be a desktop icon named "MIB Import". Once you import the third party MIB's in OME, it's like defining the third party MIB's which will allow OME to receive alerts as formatted from the third party devices.

You can refer to below link for more details:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/3570.openmanage-essentials-mib-import-utility 

And

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20087861.aspx 

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Ranveer  

2.8K Posts

November 6th, 2015 06:00

Yeah, I think the whitepaper in the link above has a section on Is/IsNot for the MIB Import tool.  It really just provides the benefit you mentioned regarding formatting traps.  But not for displaying the new switches in the device tree.

Thanks!

Rob

delltechcenter.com/ome

1K Posts

November 8th, 2015 21:00

So, OME does not support discovery and classification of non DELL devices unless they can be discovered through IPMI. eg: You will be able to discover HP servers using IPMI protocol. But not switches. The only support OME has for non DELL devices is fetching the alerts from them and showing them in OME.

No Events found!