Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2008 11:00

1. Analog input cannot display this video mode

This seems to be a popular error. I've read through many of the posts but cannot find one that specifically relates to my problem.

I have a Dimension 4400 which had a hard disk crash. I replaced the disk and loaded the Dell provided Recovery disk successfully. I then let automatic patch updates run and each time I get to the SP2 installation I get the error above which flashes briefly and reboots the PC. I have tried loading the patches manually and they work up to the point where you have to load the SP2 rollup.

A local PC engineer ran a diagnostic which suggested that there was an i/o error on the motherboard. I think that may be a red herring but have included it for completeness.

Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

1 Message

July 4th, 2015 00:00

I know I'm replying to and old post but after all the time I wasted, I thought I could save someone else some time. My scenario is different but I'm putting this out here because my s I received this error after literally years of using the same 1905FP monitor and laptop together. My scenario is different but I'm putting this out here because my monitor and laptop are both  Dell. The only time I received this error was when I closed the laptop while running and connected via VGA monitor cable to the 1905FP monitor.  Always worked until I connected my laptop to my TV and then moved it back to the monitor.  Rather than disconnect the VGA cable from the TV, I  grabbed a different one to connect back up to the monitor.  BIG MISTAKE.  That's when the error started.  The  cables were indeed different.  If you get that error when nothing else has changed,  check your monitor cable.  I'm not a cable expert so I don't know one VGA cable from another/ Mine was an older one that didn't have the extra cylindrical piece just above the plugs.  The   cord was also thinner.  That's only differences.  Put the other plug back on, fixed the error.  Wasted several hours trying all the other suggestions.  Hope this saves at least one person some time.

lkot

6.4K Posts

November 18th, 2008 11:00

You didn't specify the os, but seeing that you are loading something called SP2 suggests you are using Windows XP.  The recovery disk that Dell supplies is a Windows XP reinstallation CD.  Regrettably, this does not include all the device drivers that are needed for the system.  You must install the Intel Chipset driver first, followed by drivers for the video, network, sound, and modem (if you have one).  You should have received a Dell Resource Disk along with the reinstallation CD that contains these drivers.  If you can no longer locate the CD you can also find the drivers here:  Dimension 4400 Drivers.  Please note that your specific computer will not need all the drivers shown.  You will need to determine them based on the actual hardware installed.  The Resource Disk has an application to help you figure this out.  If you still have your invoice you should be able to get a hint from that.  You can also go here:  Warranty Status.  Click on the Original System Configuration tab, enter the service tag number, and an abbreviated version of your invoice should appear.

I am suggesting this because your complaint suggests that the system is missing the appropriate video driver.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2008 02:00

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to try this later today. It's my father's machine and it is an XP os. I can get most patches on up until SP2 when it bombs.

I've also read on the threads that updating the BIOS is sometimes necessary. I don't see that as a problem in my case but would welcome your opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

6.4K Posts

November 19th, 2008 07:00

On looking through the information in the bios flash files for the Dimension 4400, it appears that the only critical update was to version A03.  This update added 48 bit LBA capability to the computer to support hard drives larger than 137 GB.  Later updates were to add support for later model processors, enhance the diagnostic capability of the four LEDs, and correct a problem that causes the machine to hang on boot if you have certain USB devices attached at boot time.  I see nothing in the list that should cause a problem with installing or updating Windows XP.

My opinion is that you don't need to update the bios unless you are using a version prior to A03 and you are replacing the existing hard drive for a drive larger than 137 GB.

5 Posts

December 11th, 2008 03:00

Jackshack,

Thanks for your help. It took a while for me to get around to trying the fix but now that I have, it worked perfectly. All I can say is Doh! why didn't I think of that, but thank you again for your assistance, very much appreciated and has put me back in the good books with my Dad.

Cheers,

Steve

6.4K Posts

December 11th, 2008 19:00

I'm very happy I could help.  Best of luck to you!

August 17th, 2010 14:00

Well, 2 years too late, I had the same problem. For some reason the Nvidia geforce2 mx 400 card automatically set itself to 85Hz. The LCD monitor I use only supports 60 Hz. I connected the machine to a CRT and changed it to 60 HZ (forgot to confirm it the first time) and reconnected the LCD. It works. I didn't see this solution anywhere, so, here

1 Message

April 11th, 2014 14:00

I have a Dimensions 4700 with Windows XP SP2.  My computer froze up and when I rebooted I got the the message "1. Analog Input Cannot Display This Video Mode" during boot up and then the computer kept cycling through through boot up without ever opening Windows.  I ran the reinstallation CD several times until no problems were found.  I cannot open any Safe Modes.  I can only work in the Recovery Console.

I downloaded the video driver using another computer.  How do I install it?  When I'm in the Recovery Console I cannot eject the reinstallation CD and cannot change directory to a USB port that contains a thumb drive with the driver software.  Any suggestions???  I'm not familiar with Chipset drivers - is that something I download from Dell's site and load first?

Hope someone can help!

1 Message

September 15th, 2015 04:00

You are a GOD among men lol Worked like a charm!

No Events found!