Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2017 17:00

3847 Hard Drive Failure

My hard drive failed recently and the computer won't boot, gets to the spinning dots and just stays there. Went in to the diagnostics and the hdd fails on thorough testing. My question is can I replace the hdd with a ssd and reload windows 10 from a iso disk? Do I need to reload MS8 first before loading 10? What changes do I need to make in the bios, if any? Thanks in advance for any info!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 17th, 2017 11:00

You should be able to connect a SATA SSD drive to the SAT0 port where the current HDD is connected. You don't have to install Win 8 first since Win 10 is already installed. The product key for Win 10 should be stored in BIOS so it should automatically get activated.

Create a bootable UBS stick with the Win 10 iso. Connect the USB and then power on. Immediately press F12 and select the option to boot from USB.

Unlikely you'll need to make any BIOS changes from current settings if Win 10 was already running from the HDD.

The white SATA connector ODD2 port may be reserved for an optical drive.  

September 17th, 2017 03:00

Another question, can I connect another hard drive to the empty OOD2 sata port?

September 17th, 2017 19:00

After some research, it appears I can connect a HDD to one of the ODD ports, just not the SSD.

September 19th, 2017 02:00

UPDATE!

Worked like a charm?  I did have to change boot from CD in bios.

Also, for anybody with a similar PC, I did connect a HDD to sata ODD port and it is working no problem.

So, now I have a Samsung ssd 850 evo 500gb and 2 1tb HDD's for storage.

September 27th, 2017 21:00

I was able to access the old HDD and retrieve all my files and data, including old emails and settings for programs.  Only thing lost was time!

Good thing is a fresh install and no unnecessary programs not used.  With the SSD it boots in seconds instead of minutes.

Not too often I fall in a pile and come out smelling like a rose!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 28th, 2017 12:00

Now go buy a lottery ticket! :emotion-5:

No Events found!