Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2009 10:00

435MT - Problem with DVD Drives

I've got a weird problem with the 2 435MTs I ordered recently.  I put in extra hard drives into both of them, set up the RAID to mirror the drives, and installed Vista Ultimate.  I am unable to burn either CDs or DVDs with either machine.  I have no problems reading from the drives, but any time I try to burn anything, it fails.  I've tried burning with Roxio Creator DE as well as the Vista CD Burning Wizard.  Also, another strange thing is that the DVD drive retracts by itself.  It really makes putting in or taking out discs a challenge because I usually have to hold the drive open to do that.  I know the drives themselves are OK because I put in an extra Samsung DVD burner into one of the systems and it acts the same way.

Any ideas/suggestions?

799 Posts

January 19th, 2009 11:00

Hello ako33, Did you do all the driver installs for your systems, as well as all the Vista updates.

This appears as though the drivers are not installed properly.

Just some thoughts.

2 Posts

January 19th, 2009 11:00

Hi Hanspuppa,

Yes, I installed all the drivers and made sure that I downloaded and installed all the Vista updates.  I even called Dell tech support, and they were baffled.  They suggested I re-install Windows which I'm hoping to avoid.

799 Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

Yes, I installed all the drivers and made sure that I downloaded and installed all the Vista updates.  I even called Dell tech support, and they were baffled.  They suggested I re-install Windows which I'm hoping to avoid.

Hello ako33, That does not surprise me in the least.

Since you mentioned you did this upgrade to two different systems, it must be something common to both systems.

I am now wondering if the Raid1 arrays were set up properly.

I would also take a look in the BIOS and see if the drives are recognized properly, both hard drives and optical.

I would try to get one of the systems to work properly and then attempt to get the second system to work as it should.

I really don't think it is faulty drives, but maybe a setup issue.

It would be extremely rare to have a Vista install to not go well on two different systems, unless the Vista DVD was defective and used on both system.

I just took a look at the drivers and BIOS updates and there appears to be a fairly new BIOS update for your system.

HERE  is a link to the Dell web site where the BIOS and other updates can be found.

I would check and make sure you have the lateset BIOS and if not, download an update it.

Just some thoughts.

No Events found!