Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2013 23:00

670 precision CPU upgrade

I am having trouble installing upgrades to my CPUs. I performed the same upgrade to my wife’s without a hitch, so I’m stumped. We both have Dell precision 670s and now I’m upgrading my CPUs to 3.8GHz also. At the first boot attempt, the fans came roaring on and the diagnostic lights A,B,C were lit yellow and D was off; an indication that maybe one or both of the new processors weren’t seated correctly. So I pulled it all apart and re-seated both but to no avail, same thing happened. So I decided to test each separately and when I tried the first one, the diagnostic lights A and C were yellow and B and D were off, and indication that “a processor and/or VRM mismatch exists”.

My question is:… are there different VRMs for certain CPUs? I didn’t have to change anything (VRM) when I upgraded my wife’s computer from 2.8 to 3.8GHz so maybe could there be a difference in the system board between hers and mine?

Arby19

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 16th, 2013 17:00

Hi Arby19,

I believe the specific motherboard model is on the board, so you need to open up the case to see. Then Google the number to see what will fit. There are four possible motherboards:

XC092

XC837

MG022

U7565

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 4th, 2013 18:00

Hi Arby19,

From the manual:

Your computer is designed for dual-processor operations. The heat sinks (CPU_0 and CPU_1) are keyed to fit their
specific connector.
For single-processor operations, the processor must be installed in socket CPU_0. The VRM for the single processor is
already installed and cannot be removed. Processor socket 1 and VRM connector must be empty. To locate these
components, see the system board components illustration (for the Dell Precision 670 computer, see "System Board
Components" and for the Dell Precision 470 computer, see "System Board Components") or the system board label
inside your computer.
For dual-processor operations, both processor sockets and the VRM connector must be populated. To locate the VRM
connector, see the system board components illustration (for the Dell Precision 670 computer, see "System Board
Components" and for the Dell Precision 470 computer, see "System Board Components") or the system board label
inside your computer.
For dual-processor operations, the two processors and the VRMs must be identical. If the processors do not match, you
will receive a system message. If the processors voltage don't match or the VRM is not properly installed, the
diagnostic lights indicate an error.
If you are upgrading your processor, keep your original processor heat sink and securing clips for future
troubleshooting.
If you are removing the second processor (CPU_1), you must also remove the VRM.

43 Posts

September 4th, 2013 22:00

Hi Osprey4,

Okay, so that makes sense and explains why when trying to test one CPU with my VRM from my previous dual setup installed, it gave me the "processor and /or VRM mismatch exists".  You also say that the "two processors and the VRMs must be Identical."   I'm trying to use the same VRM that was installed in my previous setup.  Shouldn't that work?  As far as the CPUs are concerned what else other than the GHz  & FSB have to be the same?

Also, I'm told I should just skip this and upgrade to the Tulsa series.  Do you have any knowledge of whether that's a do-able upgrade?

Thanks for your time.  I appreciate it very much.

Arby19 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 5th, 2013 17:00

Which motherboard do you have?

43 Posts

September 6th, 2013 00:00

Dear Osprey4,

My computer was shipped 1-9-2005 and listed a pair of the 3.2GHz Nocona CPUs on board.  Since the E7525
(workstation) chipsets and the E7520 and E7320 (both server) chipsets were released with the Nocona in 2004,  I am assuming I have one of the 3, but I don't know where to look to verify one way or the other.  Could you tell me?

Logic tells me that if I have one of the 3, the board should be able to handle the Tulsa CPU upgrade, if I want to go that way.

Arby19

43 Posts

September 6th, 2013 10:00

Osprey4,

I forgot to tell you the specs I downloaded from Dell said this:

"PRINTED WIRING ASSY..., PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)..., TUMWATER..., C4, PWS670

D7591"

Hope that helps.

yours, Arby19

43 Posts

September 7th, 2013 01:00

Dear Osprey4,

I just loaded a great program from Piriform called Speccy that gives me all the info about my computer hardware including temperatures and loads.  It says this about my Motherboard:

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
 Model 0U7565 (Microprocessor)
 Chipset Vendor Intel
 Chipset Model E7525
 Chipset Revision 09
 Southbridge Vendor Intel
 Southbridge Model 82801EB (ICH5)
 Southbridge Revision 02

So we now know it has the E7525 chipset which makes it perfect for the Tulsa upgrade.

Sincerely, Arby19

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 7th, 2013 04:00

Ok, good luck with the upgrade!

43 Posts

September 9th, 2013 02:00

Osprey4,

I have a fan that is making a lot of noise and want to replace it, but the manual doesn't address the procedure.  This is not the CPU fans but the one sitting in a long plastic box over where the graphic cards are installed and is attached to the underside of the cover.  The fan runs when the system board gets hot.  The problem is that I'm not sure that I'm just supposed to pull the box out.  I appears to be just plastic snaps which are part of the body of the box, and I don't want to break them.  Is there an easy or at least a gentler way to remove the box?

Sincerely,

Arby19

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 9th, 2013 17:00

I think you're referring to the airflow shroud. I see the removal procedure in the manual.

43 Posts

September 10th, 2013 14:00

Osprey4,

Thanks for your reply, but I that's not right.  As I said in my last message, this is not associated with the CPUs, which are called airflow shrouds.  I went back and poured over the 200 pages of the User's Manual since you wouldn't tell me what page you were referring to, and found at least the proper term is more exactly called "card cage with video fan".  I still didn't find any information on how to remove the cage.  Thanks anyway, I'll wrestle with it.

Arby19

43 Posts

September 13th, 2013 19:00

Dear Osprey4,

Now I'm not so sure the Tulsa CPUs will work in my 670.  Do you know of a way to determine what CPUs the various motherboards/chipsets support?  Is there a way to find out if 670s were configured with the Tulsa at any time?

Thanks again for your help in this upgrade.

Sincerely,

Arby19

43 Posts

September 17th, 2013 00:00

Dear Osprey,

Thanks, I'll try a search.  The number has been identified by that program I told you I have.  It's 0U7565 I'll let you know what I discover.  Thanks again for your patience.

Arby19

43 Posts

September 21st, 2013 18:00

Dear Osprey,

Thanks for all your help.  I think I've gone as far as I can go with this machine.  I'm looking at the Dell T7400 now and I have a question for you about it.  It states in the manual that the T7400 can accommodate SAS or SATA drives.  My question is: does it have controllers for both so that both can be run at the same time, or is it a case or either / or ??  I have both kind of drives and would love to run them both.  If that is so, which would you load with the OS ?,...  the programs?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 26th, 2013 17:00

The manual says it supports up to four SAS (serial-attached SCSI) hard drives and one serial ATA

(SATA) hard drive, or up to five SATA hard drives. SAS drives are considerably faster for large capacity drives, but of course, they are still mechanical drives.

No Events found!