Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2005 21:00

AOL shuts down computer

Just recently, when starting up the AOL program, it automatically shuts down the computer when the sign in screen appears. Upon restart, I get a serious error message.
I have run Norton virus and none were found. Also checked for any adware, malware, etc.
I even uninstalled AOL and reinstalled a different version but the same problem occurs.

I have to keep AOL on for my wife otherwist I would remove it totally. Getting AOL to answer a phone call is impossible for help.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is occurring? It sounds like a virus but Norton's latest definition didn't detect any.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 29th, 2005 22:00

Try reinstalling AOL and see if that helps. 

AOL:smileysurprised:

May 30th, 2005 00:00

I can't even get the pregram to start without it shutting down the computer. How do I use any of the AOL tools when the program won't run?

Tried reinstalling but that didn't work.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Tenn Fan:

I suggest you use the AOL system information tool to delete the AOL adapters, then reboot and start AOL again, and the program will reinstall the adapters (and make you restart). Another utility in the system info tool is the AOL computer checkup.

If that does not work, please post the exact error message (spelling important), and your system details, as well as the version(s) of AOL you are trying.

I'm with you, we only have AOL because my wife likes it (but only $5 a month isn't too bad).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 30th, 2005 09:00

You don't need to run the application to start the system information tool. Please try that first. There's no harm trying, and it's faster than posting a question here asking whether you should try it.

If you could post back which version of AOL, that would be helpful.

139 Posts

May 30th, 2005 14:00

when you reinstall, make sure you remove all things AOL from the add/remove list.  don't just remove AOL itself, get connectivity services and the rest.  AOL is getting to be a real pain.  i also don't use it myself but keep it on the computer for the kids. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 30th, 2005 16:00

So that's three victims of AOL in this thread? LOL!! You're right, AOL 9.0 is a supreme pain in the neck. I'd go back to 8.0 but my wife likes 9.0.
No Events found!