Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2005 05:00

ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 - Update Video Drivers

I have searched through this board and others for a solution, but I've so far been unable to find a simple step-by-step answer. I really just want to know if it's possible to upgrade my video drivers (ATI 64MB 9000 All-in-Wonder Low Profile - "Mobility Radeon") in order to, I hope, increase 3D gaming performance and perhaps get better video quality using Windows Media Center. Basically, I want to know which files to download and install.

I'm sorry if the following questions are very much of a newbie quality. Right now, I'm using driver version 7.92.12-030906a-011080C-Dell, which came pre-loaded with the machine, a Dell Dimension 4600.

The only update I can find on Dell's site for video drivers is this: "ATI 64MB All-in-Wonder 9000, v.CD22c-CD24a patch, A00" which is dated 10/01/2003. Since I got my system in August of 2004, I didn't think I needed this. In any case, it says it updates a Media Center system's graphics and video driver from the CD22c version to the CD24a version. How can I tell if I'm at CD24a?

I have tried simply installing the current Catalyst drivers from ATI's site, but it gives me the following message:
"Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software."

Should I use Drivercleaner to uninstall the current driver first, as it says in the Radeon FAQ? (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=80630)

Importantly:

***Will I lose the WDM (encoder) used for Windows Media Center if I do this? I'm really concerned that I'll lose the ability to record TV or watch DVDs/video files once I update drivers. ATI's site says "For legacy Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 systems with preinstalled ALL-IN-WONDER boards, a special version of Software Encode (WDM) drivers is required, which will be provided by your computer manufacturer." Where then are Dell's WDM drivers? Will using these be OK: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6246v3.exe ?***

Has anyone had any experience, successful or not, in updating this video board? Are the Omega drivers better than the official ATI drivers, when used with an ATI A-I-W 9000 Low Profile board? Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for responding.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2005 15:00

Points taken... Thank you for your advice.

If I do decide to update my drivers, do you know if I'd still run into trouble even if I create a System Restore point right before I do the uninstall + install?

49 Posts

January 6th, 2005 15:00

I have exactly what you've got. From my experience and personal opinion. If everything is working properly and you can live with it then don't attempt to change it because it won't be worth the trouble. If you are itchin to experience great 3D gaming/capturing video then you need a newer video card.

There are plenty of suggestions/opinions on this board and you have mine for what it's worth.

W

49 Posts

January 6th, 2005 19:00

There is no gurantee even with system restore and you use Omega drivers at your own discretion.

I like to take chances and try to do the impossible sometimes and many times want to kick myself.

Restore has bailed me out before but I know the limitations of my system and don't think tricked out drivers will make a substantial difference.

W

5 Posts

January 7th, 2005 04:00

I definitely know what you mean. That's why I'm anxious about updating, because I just don't want to screw up something that will disable some feature or another.

I wouldn't necessarily be loading "tricked out," overclocked drivers... I just want to be able to use my hardware as it's meant to be used without any bugs or unnecessary performance barriers caused by outdated drivers. I feel this is kind of a given for any piece of hardware, and I just wish Dell and ATI would offer some explicit documentation for this rather basic task.

Thank you for your advice; it's definitely influencing my decisions.

No Events found!