Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2011 15:00

AY511 SoundBar - can't connect to monitor's 12V jack

hi:

I recently bought a Dell AY511 SoundBar, which is designed for my Dell U2311H monitor

I can attach it to the monitor, BUT, I cannot connect the soundbar into the 12V soundbar jack in my monitor since there is no jumper cable

instead, I am forced to use the 12V power adapter instead (included), which means running yet another cable and another power brick to plug into my power strip!

I really had hoped to elimnate this, and after all insn't that the whole purpose of the 12V jack?

Q1: was I supposed to get a short soundbar-to-monitor jumper cable so I'd have the "no power adapter" option?

Q2: can the 12V jack in my monitor carry sufficient current to feed the soundbar? (if so, I could make up a cable myslef? or can Dell send me one?)... or, is that why they included the power adapter -- because the monitor jack can't provide enough juice for the AY511 soundbar and I thus MUST use the adapter?)

info greatly appreciated!

thx

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 18th, 2011 16:00

There are a couple models of the soundbar and some require the use of the separate power supply.  According to what I see on the Dell site this model and owner comments, this requires the separate power supply.  The "whats in the box" listing does not list the power jumper cable you are asking about.

4 Posts

CORECTION: above should read...

"why can't I just make a cable that goes from monitor's 12V output directly into the soundbar?..."

4 Posts

OK, but *why* would that be?

the power supply transformer puts out 12V, and the monitor output jack is also 12V --ie.,  made for each other!

why can't I just make a cable that goes from monitor's 12V output into the power bar? (by cutting the cable to the power supply and splicing on a suitable male plug)... better still, why doesn't Dell provide that simple cable?

if not, what is the purpose of the monitor's 12V output jack !!!??

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 19th, 2011 03:00

I don't know what the power output rating of the monitor's 12V output is, compared to the power requirement of the soundbar. 

Just, that one user comment was just like yours, that it required the power supply.  If it was rated for use with the monitor's 12V supply they would have probably included the cable or made it an option on this particular model.

But, it's yours and you can do what you want with it.  If it's within a return period, get a return authorization and buy a different model that has what you want.

By the way, we are not Dell employees on here, just users helping users.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 20th, 2011 01:00

ssouci,

Q1: was I supposed to get a short soundbar-to-monitor jumper cable so I'd have the "no power adapter" option?
* Nope. The AY511 was designed to use its own power adapter.

Q2: can the 12V jack in my monitor carry sufficient current to feed the soundbar?
* We never tested or validated the monitor and AY511 in this way.

Could make up a cable myslef?
* Sure, but we would no longer warranty the monitor or soundbar.

or can Dell send me one?
* No. That is not in the design specifications so we never made one.

or, is that why they included the power adapter -- because the monitor jack can't provide enough juice for the AY511 soundbar and I thus MUST use the adapter?
* It might provide the juice but it is not validated.

My advice is return the AY511 to Dell for credit and purchase a Dell Soundbar that connects directly to the monitors DC power connector -
AX510
AS501
AS500

3 Posts

September 25th, 2011 04:00

Maybee the answer is here:

Power Cord Length 305 mm ± 15 mm AWG22 black cable attached to enclosure, with DC plug (5.5 x 2.1 x 12 mm)

3 Posts

September 25th, 2011 04:00

"Could make up a cable myslef?
* Sure, but we would no longer warranty the monitor or soundbar."

Could I be given the size / type of DC plug into the monitor to be used ?
I have a U2711 monitor.

I need to know the inside and outside contact diameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Photo-RoundPowerConnectors.jpg

March 6th, 2012 12:00

Evidently, I can't get a cord from Dell.  Therefore, does anyone know the configuration of the connection? i.e.-- is it positive on the inside of the plug or negative?  Thanks

March 6th, 2012 12:00

How do I get a missing power supply for this unit?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 8th, 2012 03:00

Is there any diagram at the Power Connector?  Some manufacturers put a polarity diagram on their equipment.  I deal with this all the time with musical equipment such as effects pedals.    

1 Message

October 15th, 2012 16:00

The monitor supplies 12V - same as the external PS. Hence, you CAN make up such a DC lead - 3.5mm x 1.3mm <-> 5.5mm x 2.1mm x 9mm - and it will power the speaker-bar.

However, there is a basic problem with that approach.

When the monitor switches into power-saving mode (or you turn it off) the monitor's speaker-power output is cut.

The speaker-bar does not use latching controls, so this means that when the monitor is returned to normal operation (and power to the speaker-bar is resumed) the speaker-bar will remain switched off.

This means that every time the monitor is returned from power-save mode (or you turn it on) you will need to also switch on the speaker-bar, and then reset your preferences... which could prove to be a real hassle.

All things considered, the constant power from the external PS may prove to be the lesser of two evils.

No Events found!