Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2010 21:00

Adding Second Harddrive to XPS 9000 That Is Running Windows 7

Wanted to check to see if anyone had any problems or tips on installing a second SATA hard drive on a XPS 9000 running Windows 7.  The second hard drive is going to be used as a back up.  I basically want it to mirror the main drive. After doing a Goggle search on the topic some people have had troubles getting Win 7 to recognize the 2nd drive. I recently put a slave drive in my Dimension 8300 that is running XP and had no problems.  I just don't want to do something that could cause a problem.  The XPS is only 3 months old.  If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

83 Posts

July 5th, 2010 11:00

No problem at all. I added two extra drives to my XPS 9000 running Win7.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2010 18:00

Thanks for the response. I put the drive in and it is being recognized in the device manager but no where else. Could you help me out with setting this up? I thought it would load up like a new device and ask what you wanted to do.

6 Posts

Thanks for your answer. I followed the instructions and I am at the specify volume size.  I am not sure of what to do now.  There should be a partition on the drive, right? If so how much should I put on there? The drive is 640 mb. Brian

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

bsmothers

Assuming that the additional SATA hard drive is recognized in the System Setup [BIOS].

Have you partitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter, using Windows 7 Disk Management?

Go HERE for the procedure.

Bev.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2010 19:00

Thats 640 gb.  Sorry.

881 Posts

Since this is the secondary drive I would use all of the available space in one partition. On the C:/ folks use more partitions to protect the OS or for a recovery partition. If you are like me you have enough drive letters already to keep up with. My second drive is going to be 1TB - 1.5TB and I will make it one big drive.

Jeff

881 Posts

I am NO guru! I think you can use Acronis True Image software to get that done. Or you might want to investigate setting the drives up in in a RAID configuration. One of which I beleive is a mirror image.  I thought you were just wanting more storage. Sorry I can't help more, but I don't want to pretend that I know more than I do.

Jeff

6 Posts

Thanks Jeff.  I want to basically  mirror my c: drive in case I have a melt down like I did on the 8300 and I had no backup drive. The hd didn't fry completly so I was able to retrieve all the data. Unforetunately I was no longer able to boot from the drive anymore and I lost my Office activation code somewhere and ended up having the spend $40 to get the code again (expensive dumb mistake).  So to prevent that from happening again I wanted to have another drive in case of failure. I guess that's why I was asking about the partition.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2010 20:00

Very good advice.  Thanks for the suggestion.

165 Posts

July 6th, 2010 10:00

Here are tutorials on create system images (backups/mirrors), and restoring them , using only the built-in Win7 utilities. Note: I have not reviewed the tutorial in detailed for accuracy, please use with caution. Use a test enviroment if at all possible while learning this stuff!

You should have basic familiarity with related concepts: physical hard drives, partitions, etc.  in Windows, such as use of Device Manager and Disk Manager.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

Also: use a physical disk utility (Dell provides these free for Optiplex/Latitude, not sure about other models) to check for correct mechnical functioning if you suspect disk errors. I you try to correct "software" disk errors (e.g., with the built-in Windows utilitty CHKDSK), and there are deeper hardware problems that are really causing disk problems, you might be fighting a losing battle. In some cases, freezing a hard drive may make it work for a short period of time, hopefully long enough to copy data from. You should strongly consider an ADDITIONAL redundant data archive, such as one of the online services (Mozy, etc.) in case your phsycial hard drive (mirror/clone/backup/archive) dies at the same time you primary drive(s) die. Unlikely, but possible.

165 Posts

Forgot to mention something on a tangent: if using a external hard drive, look at eSATA. You can get a small (physical size) "shock proof" drive similar/same as a laptop drive, and put it into a USB/eSATA enclosure. About the same size as a cell phone: relatively unobtrusive and attractive.

It might be a bit cheaper in the short run to get a standard SATA drive, and put it into an eSATA "hard drive toaster" (e.g. NexStar).

Be VERY careful about handing any hard drive that is not "shock proof", small bumps can case total data loss.

165 Posts

Win7 (perhaps depending on version?) has a built-in "System Image" backup capability.

It looks like a backup utility, which it is, but it can also be used to create an entire system image.

I had Windows XP machines that I set up to dual boot into Win7 Enterprise (more or less, the same as "Ultimate").

I used the Win7 Create System Image to "mirror" everything (both the Win XP and Win7 partitions) to a additional physical disk. IMPORTANT: you must create a Win7 System Recovery (boot) disk (CD or USB) to be able to restore your "mirror" image.

As a test, I then booted into DBAN (a Linux boot disk with hard drive utilities) and totally erased the WinXP/Win7 hard drive partitions.

I then booted into the Win7 recovery environment, and was able to completely restore BOTH WinXP and Win7 from the secondary/archival/backup/mirror drive.

It is possible to set up scheduled backups using the same Win7 utility. I found it to be more convenient and "clean" to create a separate partition on my backup drive for the win7 system image and backups because Win7 scatters a bunch of files/directories all over (from the partition root down) when setting up the System Image and subsequent backups.

You no longer need additional disk mirroring software, such as Ghost/TrueImage, although you may find that using them is more convenient.

165 Posts

July 6th, 2010 11:00

correction: should have been " freezing a *MALFUNCTIONING* hard drive "

No Events found!