Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2016 22:00

Adding memory to XPS 8910, confused about which slots.

I have an 8910 SE on the way. I ordered it with one 16 GB module and  on the same order I purchased an additional 16 GB module. (wish I could have simply ordered it with 32GB, but that's a different issue!)  In reading the 8910 service manual, it states (on page 65) "Use slots DIMM1 and DIMM3 if you need to use two memory modules." When I look at the photo of the system board on page 15 of the manual, it shows DIMM1 with white tabs and DIMM3 with black tabs.  I've been told (generally) that when installing pairs of memory modules they should be in the slots with the same colored tabs.  Knowing that there's never a mistake in any manual ;-) I want to clarify/verify how to correctly install the 2nd memory module in my new computer when it arrives (soon, I hope!). Thanks for your consideration and comments.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 1st, 2016 04:00

Add the other module to the slot of the same color as the original arrives installed in.

1 Message

December 1st, 2016 05:00

I am in the same boat with an XPS 8910 enroute and a 16GB (upgrade to 32) memory module received yesterday. (Yes, why don't they add this at Dell???)   On page 65 of the manual it does state to use DIMM 1 and DIMM 3, and then in the configuration chart shows both the 8 GB and 16 GB setups using DIMM 1 and DIMM 2.  I plan to follow what's recommended below and match color slots.  This is not a good way to start, in my opinion.

January 3rd, 2017 13:00

I have just received my XPS 8910 tower that was configured exactly as yours. (Really, why the *** can't this be done at Dell?). After reading page 65 of the manual with the same confusing instructions, I'm glad I found this forum. Did your color matching work?

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 14:00

The color matching does seem to work. That's what I chose to do & it has worked fine. I spoke to friend who is IT manager for a local business who confirmed that is the way 'most' motherboards are designed to work and it has for mine.

4 Posts

January 29th, 2017 13:00

Did you use Dell or crucial memory?

8 Posts

January 29th, 2017 14:00

I used Dell memory. I just added two more sticks to fill up both empty ones.

8 Posts

February 13th, 2017 10:00

No problem - good questions. First of all, 16GB is adequate for many people's needs so why run up costs, makes sense to make memory expansion an option instead of requirement. As long as the spec it the same, the expansion should work. I ordered the same part number from Dell for added peace of mind, however I wouldn't have been afraid to buy matching specification memory modules from another vendor. Perhaps the people with real knowledge (I'm a consumer. . . ) could chime in. I did keep my expansion in 'pairs'. The computer came with 16GB, I added 16 at that time, then added another pair of 16s a few months later. System working great, no issues, I'm delighted.

February 13th, 2017 10:00

Just curious, I'm configuring an 8910 system as well this week.  What was Dell thinking to offer only 1 DIMM on all of these systems?  You say you ordered the system with 16GB module & on the same order, an addition 16GB module.  How were you certain that you received a "matched pair."  I am told that they must be a matched pair to work properly.  Thanks so much for answering.  

140 Posts

February 13th, 2017 17:00

I agree - I think Dell's intentions were good - the 8910 will take a maximum of 4 ea 16GB modules and when shipping a PC with 16GB only - they wanted to save the consumer the usual practice of throwing their old memory (2x8GB) in a box when upgrading.  As far as I know, this is the first PC I've owned that doesn't require a pair of modules to function.

My pain was that I bought the option with 24GB from the factory.  They use 2x8GB plus 2X4GB to reach 24GB, so no matter what, if I want to upgrade I end up discarding modules.  Those of you griping about having just a single 16GB module are actually in good shape, assuming you can find a good match for the existing 16GB module.  All of my memory is Hynix, which I think is Hyundai RAM.

140 Posts

February 13th, 2017 19:00

I agree - I think Dell's intentions were good - the 8910 will take a maximum of 4 ea 16GB modules and when shipping a PC with 16GB only - they wanted to save the consumer the usual practice of throwing their old memory (2x8GB) in a box when upgrading.  As far as I know, this is the first PC I've owned that doesn't require a pair of modules to function.

My pain was that I bought the option with 24GB from the factory.  They use 2x8GB plus 2X4GB to reach 24GB, so no matter what, if I want to upgrade I end up discarding modules.  Those of you griping about having just a single 16GB module are actually in good shape, assuming you can find a good match for the existing 16GB module.  All of my memory is Hynix, which I think is Hyundai RAM.

No Events found!