Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2008 03:00

Advice Required On Upgrading My RAM Memory

Hi,

If I'm not in the right place to ask this question, I'd be grateful if someone could redirect me.

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), fitted with an Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz (512K Cache) Processor and I've been advised to upgrade the original  256MB RAM Memory, which was already fitted when I bought the PC from Dell UK, a few years back.

The only info I have is that the original part is: 256MB 266 Mhz PCC266 DDR RAM Memory (1*256MB).

I used Dell's (UK) system to search for an upgrade part and it recommended a: Dell 512MB Memory Module For Dell Dimension 4500-400MHz, Manufacturer Part: SNPJ0202C/512 Dell Part: A1461046 at a UK price of £26.48 (GBP), inc VAT & Shipping.

I hope this is enough information for anyone to advise but my questions are:

1) The original RAM is 266Mhz & the upgrade appears to be 400MHz...is this OK?

2) How easy is it to fit the new RAM unit, is it a straight forward part for part swap?

3) Will it require any updating, programming or changes to my system?

4) Will it affect any of the data I have already stored on my computer?

5) Could I go higher with the RAM replacement, i.e. Higher than 512MB.

Sorry if these questions are naive or basic but I'm not that up on computer jargon but I am a competent electronics engineer but not in the computer field.

Thanks,

Tony (Milton Keynes, United Kingdom, Great Britain)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 04:00

Go to the Crucial Memory site   www.crucial.com and run their configurator.  It will list what memory is available and applicable to your specific model.  Dell's tend to be finicky with memory and not all brands will work or work correctly, however Crucial is one brand that is guaranteed to work in your PC. 

There is no software (programming) changes needed, the BIOS and Windows will automatically detect the new memory. 

The Dell manual HERE details how to install memory. 

One caution, memory is static sensitive so only handle memory by the edges.

35 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 18:00

Thank you, both Fireberd & Bev.

Both links have been very helpful & informative, especially the Crucial UK one.

Prices from that company are much more comptetitive than the one given by the Dell Approved Suplier (3x Less!)

Regards

Tony

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 13:00

ozwald

Try Crucial UK, HERE to find the memory.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 18:00

Tony.

Pleased to have helped.    :emotion-2:

Bev.

No Events found!