Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2009 10:00

Any recommendations for upgrading cpu cooler / heatsink in my Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435MT

I'm working on some mods to make my Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435MT cooler and quieter.  I'm replacing the case fan and adding an Enermax Modu82+ 625W power supply.

Can anyone provide any recommendations for upgrading the stock i7 920 cpu cooler / heatsink in my Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435MT?  Given the small size of the 435MT, I've been pulling out my hair trying to find an aftermarket cooler that will fit, keep the CPU cool and be quiet.  Keeping the stock cooler is not an option.  Price is no object,   I want the best I can get. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2009 19:00

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out. Now that I read this eye opening stuff, I am wondering if I really can not live with the noisy original. I need to take a step back before leaping forward with the Geldin project.  I have one on order [from China] but I will delay using it if I can find a factory original CPU cooler. After I have the system working with the factory CPU cooler, I will decide if the noise is too objectional before making the update. after all, my hearing is not what it used to be. 

Is it alright to ask the following on this forum.  Does anyone have a good used cooler for the 435MT that he/she would like to sell? I am willing to pay for the item plus shipping.  Please constact me at

:Email-id removed per privacy policy >

if you do. Payment will go quick if you have PayPal.  

Thanks for keeping this threat alive,

Wilfred 

4 Posts

October 28th, 2009 12:00

I have changed my immediate direction and will buy a new or used factory original CPU heatsink/cooler. I was hoping to find a used one here from one of the members.  I will order tomorrow from Dell and sell the Geldic I hav eon order. I was wondering if it would be possible and a good idea to dril holes in the back braket to provide clearance for the CPU mounting clips. I may eventually decide to go for a CPU heatsink mod,

have a good day

4 Posts

November 29th, 2009 16:00

Hallo Folks,

It has been a while since I actually finished my Dell XPS 435MT. I decided to go with the stock CPU cooler form Dell.  Everythin works fine and I loaded a copy of windows 7 ultimate to control the action. Luckily I am not bothered by CPU fan noise; noise level is acceptable. I made the right decision to use the stock cooler.

I just put the Geldin SilenSpirit CPU cooler on Ebayand maybe it willfind a new home where it can hum along silently.  Thanks to all of you who contribute to this formum,

Wilfred

155 Posts

November 29th, 2009 17:00

This thread puzzles me. With the 1.1.2 BIOS, the stock case fan and the stock CPU heat sink, my 435MT, with Core i7 920 CPU, is quiet, and my core temperatures right now are 44, 39, 40, and 39 degrees Celsius. The BIOS upgrade did away with the objectionable case fan noise and is now barely audible. I have the ATI Radeon 4850 graphics card and right now the GPU core temperature is 62 degrees Celsius. The computer is stable, with no freezes, blue screens or spontaneous shutdowns or restarts in at least six months. I don't understand all the drilling, sawing, disassembling and parts replacement. Was all this done because of real problems, or because it was feared that problems would arise?

Bob N.

3 Posts

December 27th, 2009 12:00

Bob, thanx for sounding a "voice of reason".  I have been concerned about my 435MT CPU Temp of 80+C that I see on my PC Wizard monitor. 

The Core temps have never exceeded 50C and the 4850 GPU temps hold in the mid 60's.  So far, no crashes or freezes. 

I may not feel so confident once the warranty expires.

No Events found!