Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2009 10:00

Any recommendations for upgrading cpu cooler / heatsink in my Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435MT

I'm working on some mods to make my Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435MT cooler and quieter.  I'm replacing the case fan and adding an Enermax Modu82+ 625W power supply.

Can anyone provide any recommendations for upgrading the stock i7 920 cpu cooler / heatsink in my Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435MT?  Given the small size of the 435MT, I've been pulling out my hair trying to find an aftermarket cooler that will fit, keep the CPU cool and be quiet.  Keeping the stock cooler is not an option.  Price is no object,   I want the best I can get. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you.

23 Posts

August 19th, 2009 11:00

The cooler isn't a stock Intel item, though I've no idea who actually makes the one fitted. The problem of course is the small mini tower case - as soon as you start to upgrade graphics cards,etc., the heat rises....

I swapped out the PSU and shoehorned in a 4870 and found (surprise) it didn't bode well for the temps!

Although I liked the chic little gloss black case as it sat very nicely on the desk, I've moved everything into a new case now with much better airflow.

Sorry I can't recommend any premium coolers  that will fit in the original case. I expect you've read the threads here with regard to the case fan- be aware that although it is easy to aquire fans that are quieter they will probably not match the Dell fitted AVC's 74cfm.

Don't think the all-in-one liquid coolers around (Zalman/Domino) will fit, (or be an easy fit!) as they have 120mm heatsinks.

I can recommend a Silenx Extrema as a case fan, I fitted one and it made the whole PC very quiet, but it wasn't easy tracking a 92mm one down that had the higher output (they come in different noise/output specs). Got one off EBay in the end!

34 Posts

August 27th, 2009 08:00

I have EXACTLY same problem, my cpu fan sounds like a car, want to change it.

I want Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 but i assume that it doesnt fit in my tiny pc :emotion-6:

What can I do????? I get headache everyday, have latest bios, it doesnt help.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2009 09:00

The Noctua definitely won't fit.  That would have been a great/quiet CPU cooler.  The CPU cooler also has to be small to fit in the 435mt.

Nobody seems to have upgraded their cpu cooler.  HHmmpppph!  Noise is really an issue in this computer.    I've done quite a bit of research and the best that I have been able to come up with is the

Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097

It's only $32 at newegg, so I went ahead and ordered it.  I'll let you know when it arrives if it fits ok.  Wish me luck.  Also once I gut everything, I'm also planning on drilling a 92mm hole in the bottom of the case for a new fan for more cool airflow.  I'm also installing nexus dampers taller case feet.

34 Posts

August 27th, 2009 14:00

ok, plz let me know if it fits, and how quiet it is compared to the stock one, how temp differences.

Thankxx :emotion-51:

34 Posts

August 28th, 2009 06:00

I found another cooler that is even smaller than Scythe SCSK-1100

Gelid Silent Spirit

What do you think about that one?

34 Posts

August 30th, 2009 08:00

Did it fit? Whats happening? :emotion-55:

34 Posts

August 30th, 2009 16:00

ok, plz let me know, im eager to know what will happen

6 Posts

August 30th, 2009 16:00

The Geldid Silent Spirit looks great.  Too bad I didn't come across that one when I was doing my research.  Also think that the Noctua NH-u9B may have fit too.  What I didn't know that it's slot 1366 compatible.  Noctua will send you a free 1366 (i7) adaptor.  Oh well.  I got the Scythe cooler and am moving forward with that.

It's still going to be a little while....My 435MT is still in pieces and I have not put the cooler in yet.  I'm waiting on a few things before I put it all back together.

#1 waiting for a 92mm hole saw. 

#2 waiting until the new Intel X25-M SSD comes into stock.  I'll run my OS on this.  Everyone raves about this SSD.  Might as well try it.

I've got the Nexus Dampers case feet and I am planning on drilling a 92mm hole on the bottom of the case, towards the front.  Underneath where HDD1 goes.  Then I am putting a Noctura NF-B9 case intake fan there.  I've got a Y power splitter that will connect it to the other case fan which plugs into the motherboard controlling it's speed.  Some nice extra cool air coming in from under the front of the case should help the heat and high spin speeds of the fans.

23 Posts

September 5th, 2009 16:00

I don't know if there's been any updates since or on any similar threads to this one, but I have one question- sorry its probably been asked a million times before but answers don't seem definitive and the forum here can be a bit of a nightmare to trawl through, even with search sometimes...

Putting  aside the physical size of aftermarket heatsinks, if the CPU fan were to be changed what is the situation with regard to error messages received prior to/ during POST?

The M/B has a 4 pin header from what I can see, and I've googled around and apparently you can fit a  3 pin connector on to it -

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Motherboard_(CPU)_4_Pin_Fan_Connector

Seem OK?

Will the PC simply fail to boot at all, or fire up but with an error message every boot?

23 Posts

September 5th, 2009 17:00

Just had a look in the BIOS (v 1.1.2) and there is buried there an option Report/ Do Not Report Keyboard Errors- this is the only setting remotely connected to this I can see would make a difference.

6 Posts

September 15th, 2009 21:00

I did buy the Geldin Silent Spirit based on your great reviews.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the case for the 92mm Noctura fan.

I am STILL waiting for the new Intel X25-m 34mm SSD drive to come out.  Once it's all put together I'll let you know how it all works out.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2009 09:00

Greetings to all still interested in this topic.  I just joined and I am pleased to find this group.  I am finishing a barbones XPS 435MT. I am joining the Geldin Silent Spirit folks who have taken the plunge. Any new developments in this area.  Has anyone achieved their desired results and are their any pitfalls this new member should be aware off.  Hope someone is listening,

thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 24th, 2009 10:00

Rosewill makes a heatsink with a quiet 92mm fan that fits in low profile cases.

6 Posts

I'm still working on my Dell Studio XPS 435mt rebuild.  I'm waiting because I am going to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my system.

I did a few things that I believe will really help quiet and cool my Dell Studio XPS 435mt.

1.  I bought case feet and raised the tower .75".

2.  I drilled a hole in the bottom of the case and installed a 92mm Noctua fan

3.  I'm also installing an Intel SSD X25-m drive and the new seagate 2tb hard drive. 

4.  I put in a fanless HIS 4670 video card

5.  Installed the very quiey Enermax Modu82+ 625W power supply.

6.  I replaced the Case fan with a 92mm Noctua as well

a.  I am not sure if this fan will be powerful enough

b.  I also wonder if the case fan should be intake or outtake.

7.  Finally I installed a Geldid Silent Spirit CPU Cooler.  It was difficult.  Read the next post about the installation of this cooler.

Next week I hope to post some CPU temps and my overall opinion of noise.

6 Posts

HOW TO INSTALL THE Geldin Silent Spirit CPU cooler:

It took me forever to figure out how to install the Geldin Silent Spirit CPU cooler to mount into the motherboard.  The existing stock cooler screws  into a backplate.  Quality CPU coolers do not screw in, they snaps, so any new cooler you buy will not fit the backplate screw holes. 

So to replace the stock cooler, EVERYTHING must be removed from out of the case and then you remove the motherboard.  To install any aftermarket CPU cooler, the CPU backplate on the back of the motherboard must then be taken off.  But that's not it.  If you just remove the backplate, then what does the cpu cage screw into?

So the backplate, which is a piece of metal shaped like an X must then be machined or cut.  Fortunately we had a grinder at work to turn the backplate from an X shape to more of a rectangle.  The backplate needs the factory cpu fan screwholes on the edges of the X to be cut off but it's very important that you leave the cpu cage bolts intact.  Once this was all done the Geldin Silent Spirit to mounts into the motherboard perfectly.

Please note that this is not for the faint of heart.  Will for sure void any warranty.  Be careful.  Had I know it was this difficult I would have kept the stock cooler.  For the guy who has a barebones system, this will be easier since he has no CPU or anything except the motherboard to remove.

Good Luck!  Be careful.  Hope to post CPU temps next week to see how it all works.

No Events found!