Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2010 09:00

Ati Radeon HD 5870 noisy fan on XPS 9000

Hi

I got my new XPS 9000 desktop last tuesday, march 09th 2010.

I have the Ati Radeon HD 5870.

At the first startup, I heard a fan noise.  (Not a windy fan noise but as a loose bearing)

Then, I open the case and found that it came from the graphic car fan.

I called the support on the next day and got a new card very quickly. i.e yesterday.

The new one have the same issue.

The problem come because the fan is facedown causing this one to be a bit loose. If i just put a very very very light pushing pressure to the top on the center of the fan (the fan doesn't slow down) , the noise disappears. If I turn the desktop tower on the side, the noise also disappear.

Before I call the support again, I would like to known if other user have the same issue.

Thank you all.

See the video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNaCXscT8ZY

[Video]

13 Posts

March 29th, 2010 17:00

Great to hear someone else is having this problem too.

I just received my new area 51 with the same graphics card at first I thought it was the liquid cooling pumping the water but this is definately not it. The sound was coming from the card guess I will call tech support again tomorow after the guy put me on hold for 30 minutes only for me to call back and find out they are closed

7 Posts

March 30th, 2010 06:00

Finally, the tech is come and I got a third video card. This one is working properly.

It's very easy to be sure this is the fan. Just keep the graphic card as is placed in the computer case i.e. the fan in the floor direction and test is the fan is loose when you push and release the fan.

The third one I got has no loose at all.

Hope you will enjoy your Aline machine soon. This card is terrific.

98 Posts

March 30th, 2010 09:00

Glad it worked out.  I have the ASUS 5870 and it is a very strong card.  Gonna add another one soon when the prices come down a little.

No Events found!