Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2012 13:00

Audio Issues with Optiplex 580

I have Optiplex 580s set up in various classrooms, hooked up through a variety of audio equipment. I have an issue such that, if the computer is left in sleep mode over the night, when someone comes in the next morning it will not play audio.

If the computer is restarted it resolves this issue.

These Optiplex 580s are all running Windows 7. When the computer is in this state, the audio devices appears to be fine. It does not display any errors. I attempted to update the device driver through the device manager, and it said the device driver was up to date.

Does anybody have any experience with such an issue? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 17th, 2012 15:00

Check the Dell downloads at  www.support.dell.com   for any updated sound driver.  Also, make sure you are using the Dell  Realtek ALC269Q-VB3 sound driver and not a generic Windows installed driver, or a non-Dell Realtek driver which we find does not work properly.  Check the Device Manager and if it shows "HD Audio Codec" that means the generic Windows installed sound driver is being used. 

4 Posts

January 19th, 2012 07:00

Thanks Fireberd. I will check the driver. Have you found that this was a solution to a previous issue, or are you just covering a base?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 19th, 2012 07:00

Just covering a base.  On this forum we have found over the years that if the Dell integrated audio driver is not used, either the sound will not work or there will be problems.  I also provide audio section input on the Windows 7 forum and we have basically found the same thing there.  If someone has audio problems and we find they are using the generic Windows installed HD Audio Codec driver the first thing we suggest is to uninstall that and install the PC or motherboard vendor (as applicable) sound driver.

Thus the first step is to confirm what driver is actually being reported/used by the Device Manager.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2012 11:00

Had a new case of this issue just now. The narrative I have put together looking at the event log, and my own testing.

Computer went to sleep due to system idle last night.

It then went into hibernation.

I came in and pressed the power button to wake it up.

Logged into computer, didn't hear any sound.

Checked Driver.

Sound indicator in lower right hand corner showed that the playback device was fine. 

I unplugged the classroom equipment from the computer and then plugged it back in with no success.

I plugged the classroom equipment into my phone and was able to play audio

Plugged my headphones into computer, wasn't able to produce sound.

I plugged the classroom equipment back into the computer and put the computer to sleep.
When I woke it back up, it was finally able to produce audio.

Very strange stuff, any ideas? 

4 Posts

January 20th, 2012 13:00

I am going forward assuming that that "hibernate after sleep 360 minutes" setting is causing the issue. I didn't know hibernate was enabled by default. I will be sending powercfg -h off to all my machines and see if that resolves the issue.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2013 15:00

I am getting choppy audio after the re-install of windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8400!  However, went to the Dell site and down loaded and re-installed ALL the audio related drivers.  The problem has NOT gone away!  Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

David

No Events found!