Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2008 13:00

Audio Problems

Hey, I turned on my computer today and I went on WMP and listened to some music. Halfway through a song the volume started going louder and softer non stop without me touching a thing. I tried troubleshooting by deleting the drivers and then reinstalling it but that didnt work. Btw its an integrated soundcard with sigmatel drivers or something and its a Dell Dimenson E520. Anyone know any solutions??

Message Edited by Ultraman221 on 04-22-2008 12:40 AM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 21st, 2008 14:00

Could it be the speakers or a bad connection to the PC from the speakers?  Unplug the speakers and plug a headset into the green speaker jack and see if the sound varies.  If not, then the problem is in the speaker system.

10 Posts

April 22nd, 2008 06:00

I have tried plugging in the speakers to my Ipod. Im not sure if its too loud or anything. I think it is the speakers because i have the Windows Volume control thingy on 15 and i have my speaker knob as low as it can go but its still very loud.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2008 09:00

It sounds like it is the speakers. Not much  you can do to fix them as almost all are sealed and you would have to destroy the case just to get inside. 

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 07:00

Actually, its not the speakers because I tried it on my other computer running the same integrated sound card and the same drivers on Windows Vista and the Volume controller on the bottom right of the task bar was on 100% and the knob on the speakers were on about a third and it sounded fine.

Any suggestions on what to do now?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2008 09:00

Does this do it with ANY sound or just with WMP?  If  it's any sound, uninstall the sound device in the Device Manager, then restart the PC and Windows will reinstall the device.  This fixes a lot of flakey problems and may fix this one.  If it doesn't fix it, reinstall the sound drivers. 

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 09:00

Its for everything, not just WMP and ive tried uninstalling it. It dosnt help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2008 17:00

1. Reinstall the Intel chipset drivers HERE  These drivers are for the various Intel chips on the motherboard and also define what is on or attached to the motherboard.  (When doing a clean install the sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) install device drivers, such as the sound).

2. Reinstall the SigmaTel drivers  HERE

If this doesn't fix it, you are looking at either (or both) 1 - a complete reinstall or 2 - a defective sound module and if that is the case it will take a new motherboard to fix it.

10 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 18:00

The link for the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility you gave me was for Windows XP, im running Windows Vista, could you please tell me where I could get it for vista?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2008 20:00

Sorry.  HERE is the entire list of drivers for Vista 32 bit.
No Events found!