Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2013 20:00

BIOS Error installing Seagate SSD

I have replaced my hard drive with a Seagate 600 Series ST240HM000 solid state hard drive on my Dell Studio Slim 540s.  When I boot my computer, the BIOS gives an error message regarding the Hard Drive Self Monitoring System saying the drive has exceeded normal operating range, and it won't boot into Windows.

My only options are F1 to retry boot (which doesn't do anything) or F2 to enter the BIOS configuration.  It seems that after a number of times entering BIOS setup, saving and exiting (regardless of any changes), eventually it will say "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...", which I let that expire, and it will boot (otherwise I get the same error message again).  I successfully installed Windows 8.1 going through that method, but now any time I restart it I have to go through the same thing... and I have to repeatedly go through this process until it will boot into Windows.  It did this before I ever attempted to install Windows, so I don't think it has anything to do with Windows (it seems to be in the BIOS).

I have run all the "long" Seagate SeaTools for Windows tools against the drive and they all checkout fine, and it's firmware is up to date according to Seagate's website.  I've checked everything I've seen by my online research (don't see any SMART options in BIOS, firmware up to date, etc.) to no avail.

Why is this message appearing and how can I get rid of it if it's just showing in error?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 6th, 2013 22:00

Usually such a message displays when the drive is defective. You might try updating your BIOS to the latest version.

I've also seen this happen with a failing power supply, but if you weren't experiencing troubles before installing the SSD, I don't think this would be the case.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 7th, 2013 03:00

No Events found!