Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2012 15:00

BIOS SATA Operation ( RAID ATA) question.

Installing Windows 7 Home Premium from a generic setup disk, I received an error at the end of installation.

"Windows could not complete the  installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.' 

I can only imagine a sociopath writes the error messages because restarting the installation only brings one  back to this error message.

Googling the error message,  I found a fix. In the BIOS I changed the SATA operation from RAID to ATA. After doing this I was able to install Windows 7 with the generic disk.

My question is do I have to worry about switching the SATA Operation back from ATA to RAID? Is this going to cause any issues later?

6.4K Posts

April 1st, 2012 16:00

Your computer will work just fine with the SATA controller set to ATA.  What you miss by using ATA instead of RAID is the use of the AHCI interface.  This interface is a bit more efficient than ATA and is necessary for setting up a RAID, but you probably will not notice the difference using a single drive.

What model computer are you using, and are you installing a new hard drive or are you reinstalling on the original drive?

6 Posts

April 1st, 2012 16:00

Its a new hard drive. The old hard drive was a seagate 1.5 TB and it just went out. I bought a 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive to replace it, but the restore disk wouldn't work because its a smaller drive.

The computer is a Studio XPS 8100.

6.4K Posts

April 1st, 2012 22:00

Yes, I'm afraid that the utilities supplied at no cost do not often have all the capability of the software that must be paid for.

It is possible to switch to the AHCI driver, but it requires a bit of effort.  Basically you download the SATA driver for the computer, use its autoextractor to create the usual folder in the root directory of the hard drive, allow it to place the extracted files into the folder, and then close out the autoextractor.  I don't think that the SATA driver file will call up an installation wizard, but if it does, cancel that out.  Make certain you know where the extracted files were placed, then go to Device Manager, start the Update Driver feature, and guide it to the folder that contains the extracted files.  Select the appropriate ICH spec and tell it to install.  Restart the computer, use F2 to go to System Setup, and change the controller back to RAID On.  Allow the computer to boot.  That should be all there is to it.

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 06:00

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 12:00

Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Consider the following scenario. In the BIOS setup of a Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer, you change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use the either Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification or RAID features. You then restart the computer. In this scenario, you receive the following error message:

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE
This issue occurs if the disk driver in Windows 7 and Windows Vista is disabled. This driver must be enabled before you change the SATA/RAID mode of the boot drive.
To resolve this issue automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then, click Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the steps in this wizard.

Fix this problem
Microsoft Fix it 50470

Note this wizard may be in English only; however, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.

Note If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD so that you can run it on the computer that has the problem.

No Events found!