Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2008 10:00

BOOT from USB

I have a Dimension 2400 with BIOS A05.  I want to boot from a USB device but the BIOS does not give that as an option, nor can I even use the DELL supplied version of XP that came with my computer to load the OS on the USB drive.

Do I have any recourse?

9.4K Posts

February 20th, 2008 11:00

Some of the earlier Dell systems had problems when trying to boot from a USB drive.  Have you tried plugging in the USB drive and then bring up the Boot Menu by pressing F12 to see if the drive is listed as a boot device?  If your not seeing the F2 - F12 prompt at boot up then go into the BIOS Setup and enable the POST Hotkey option.  If that doesn't work then make sure the USB Emulation option listed under the Integrated Devices is turned On and try again. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 20th, 2008 11:00

No.

4 Posts

February 20th, 2008 18:00

Is that no to I cannot use the Dell supplied CD with XP to load onto the USB disk, or no to both?  Is there a BIOS update that allows the 2400 to recognize USB boot devices?

9.4K Posts

February 20th, 2008 20:00

Zaphod55,

You're already using the latest and last BIOS version released for your model.  If you're unable to get the system to boot to your USB hard drive then it isn't going to work. The older Dells were like that.  There is no other BIOS version that is going to enable that feature.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 20th, 2008 23:00

You can't just install XP from the Dell CD onto a USB drive. You have to create bootable USB drive. Read this:

Boot Windows XP from USB drive

If this one doesn't work for you, there are bunches of other utilities on the net to do this, just google these search terms:

XP create USB boot

Of course, this assumes your PC's BIOS supports booting from USB. And I defer to the experts on that point.

Ron

4 Posts

February 21st, 2008 12:00

Thanks for your reply.  I understand and will simply move on..:smileysad:

February 21st, 2008 19:00

Hi,

From what I have read here .....

• Not all Dell PCs (especially the older ones) support booting from USB
  • Even if the bios claims to be able to boot from USB it may not actually do it
  • No patches/upgrades are available

Have I got this right???

9.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2008 12:00

Captain Clinac,

Yep, right it is.   Some of the older systems wouldn't boot to USB at all.  While later vintage models could boot from a USB flash drive, but not a USB hard drive.  Are you having a problem with a specific model?

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 15:00

It is a Dell Dimension 2400.  The BIOS level is A05.

February 24th, 2008 19:00

Thanks for that.

GX270 - A06

GX280 - A03

And I suspect a few other models. Both of these claim to boot from USB and both claim there is no OS on the stick.

I suspected I had not done the stick right but now I know better. The stick does boot on a HP somethingorother.

Like Zaphod, "I shall move on".

Thanks all for your comments.

Dave.

9.4K Posts

February 25th, 2008 11:00

Captain Clinac,

I'm assuming that you are trying to boot using the F12 boot menu with the memory stick and it isn't working.  With the GX270 model there is an option in the BIOS Setup under the Integrated Devices menu for USB Emulation.  I would check to see that this option is enabled.  I don't see a similiar option for the GX280.

2.4K Posts

February 25th, 2008 15:00

The GX260s were the first optiplexes to support USB booting so GX270s and GX280s definitely support it. Not 100% sure if it applies to USB hard disks.

February 26th, 2008 18:00

You are correct.

And yes I have tried the USB emulation option too.

Thanks

No Events found!