Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2017 17:00

Bios Update inspiron 20-3052

Last night after watching Netflix my computer said I had a bios update to install I clicked on the install and went to bed after work today I came home to find my computer power button was red and nothing would happen tried to turn it on a few times and just a red power button. Whats up with Dell allowing this to happen. This is my first Dell. And it will be my last if they are not going to do something about this. It has nothing to do with money if they think I am going to spend one more penny on this computer I will buy a brand new computer and it will never be a Dell again

• 

370 Posts

May 19th, 2017 14:00

Dear Customers,

Dell is aware that a recent BIOS release (version 3.8.1) for the Inspiron 20 3052 All-in-One has caused some systems to fail to boot.  Dell has stopped the push of the affected BIOS version and urges impacted customers to contact Dell Tech Support or on Twitter @DellCares.

Thank you,

Dell Support Team

9 Posts

May 16th, 2017 07:00

Seems to me if the BIOS update did indeed come from Dell, some programmer just forgot to include a minor detail. Like, for instance, where to find that "Dell" logo that normally appears. That something in the motherboard got fried seems improbable.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 16th, 2017 07:00

Hi shatney1775,

Thanks for posting and bringing this to our attention.

Our engineering teams are currently looking into this situation and will be advising me shortly on how to resolve this.  Please be patient while we look into this and I'll contact you back when we have something.  In the meantime, if you would like to contact me privately, click on my name in blue, then on the next page click "send private message" in the upper right corner, and please include your system's service tag number in your reply.  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 16th, 2017 11:00

You might want to keep checking other threads on this topic in case somebody posts the answers to your questions over there:

en.community.dell.com/.../20012337

en.community.dell.com/.../20012309

Hope this is the fix for you!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Don't know if you saw the other threads on this topic, but try this:

Try using a USB/wired keyboard on the system and using the steps below.

* Restart the computer

* Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears

* On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key (May not appear on all systems)

* Choose Recover BIOS and press Enter. WAIT. Do not force a reboot or press any other keys

As per the article here:

www.dell.com/.../SLN300716

9 Posts

If anybody tries the USB keyboard trick and it works, please post! For that matter, please post if it DOESN'T work, also! It would be a good thing to know before I go to the trouble of buying or borrowing one.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

BTW: That article I linked doesn't say BIOS Recovery requires a wired USB keyboard. It only says "USB keyboard".

Don't know if it matters if it is wired or wireless.  At worst, it might not recognize a wireless keyboard so the recovery won't launch.  Worth a try...????

EDIT: That article says it supports a PS/2 keyboard so I think the instructions Brad posted in the other thread are meant to say a USB or Wired keyboard, not a wired USB keyboard.

7 Posts

May 17th, 2017 09:00

None of the known tricks work. The screen is blank, not a single letter or Dell logo. I think we're dealing with dead BIOSes here.

5 Posts

May 17th, 2017 13:00

yes the same thing happened to me 2 days ago, same thing red light, and could not turn the pc on

5 Posts

May 17th, 2017 14:00

it happened to me, I have no PC, same model

5 Posts

May 17th, 2017 21:00

I am having the same exact problem, I saw the the update to install on my inspiron 20 3052 and I clicked on it  and the computer power button is now red and nothing happens, cannot turn the computer on,

5 Posts

May 18th, 2017 16:00

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 19th, 2017 06:00

UPDATE:  If your Inspiron 20 3052 system is having the same symptoms as described in this post, please attempt to run diagnostics by pressing F12 at startup, then contact Dell Tech Support for further assistance.  Thanks.

No Events found!