Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2015 07:00

Blue Screen Errors

Hello All, hope someone can help me. Just purchased XPS8900, latest processor, 8MB,1 TB, Win 7 Pro. Getting errors: Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown, etc. Have had 34 minidump files in the last 10 days. Ran windows check for a solution, Dell hardware diagnostics, all OK. Have tried to read blue screen but doesn't last very long, Says something like un recoverable hardware issues ...Dell says it is a software issue and wants $130 to fix. Computer is 2 wks. old. Help! Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 17th, 2015 11:00

Dell would not charge for hardware support on dell computers purchased directly from Dell so it must be a software problem you have not explained or you did not purchase it from Dell. Did it come with windows 7 or did you install it yourself? Software installed by Dell is supported for 30 days. Contact support again after running the Diagnostics again including the extended hard drive test. That does not run unless you select it. If you find any hardware problems, it will be covered under warranty. If you did install windows 7 ask about returning to windows 10. There will not be windows 7 drivers available for the 8900 hardware that came with windows 10.

Make sure you actually contact Dell Support by going to the Dell page here- http://www.dell.com/support

4 Posts

December 17th, 2015 12:00

Mary G,

Purchased directly from Dell with win 7 installed and license for win 10.   Service went directly to Dell India (hardware) and after running quick diagnostic was referred to software in India. no mention of 30 day software warranty just that I will be billed prior to remote hookup to my computer.

I just today updated windows, ran scandisk and defragged. It hasn't errred today so far. Not sure if it is fixed or not. I'll keep everyone up to date. Thank you.

John

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 15:00

John240,

I've got at least 4 more examples of this issue.  See the forum posts I have on the Microsoft website (link below).

answers.microsoft.com/.../a07f6f7a-d448-4d2a-94b3-57345ae5252a

It is inexcusable for Dell to sell us brand new computers that do not work, then try to charge us for software support plans to fix issues that they as the OEM should be responsible for (see Microsoft website).  In my case, they want to charge me for $240 for software support.

What is more troubling is that this seems to be a real issue and they do not seem to be taking any real responsibility to help their customers and solve the problem.

At this stage, my expectation is that Dell either:

1) Send someone onsite to help fix my computer, or 2) assign an advanced senior level support engineer to take ownership of our case and try to remotely diagnose and fix our problem.  See all of the items the Microsoft MVP suggested in the above post - mostly having to do with a "clean install".  This is what we need help with.

Then, depending on the outcome, we should be given an option to either 1) keep the updated and fixed machine, or, 2) be offered the ability to exchange or return our purchase.  I also believe Dell should assign a customer service manager to monitor our case, and assist in navigating any return policies that might be problematic (such as the amount of time it takes to help us may exceed the 30 day return policy).

Dell - you have an opportunity as a company to do the right thing here...  You should listen to what your customers are saying and help them.  

4 Posts

December 24th, 2015 07:00

Reply to all that responded,

Since my last post I contacted Dell tech who "repaired" Win 7; Loaded all new drivers and told me to e-mail him if the problem continues. It is!!!. ,

I did my own research and used www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html. This showed the following:

Dump File         : 122315-10561-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 12/23/2015 3:31:36 PM
Bug Check String  :
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000124
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000004
Parameter 2       : fffffa80`07f3e038
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+12a3b
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+73c40
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\122315-10561-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 8
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 331,560
Dump File Time    : 12/23/2015 3:33:04 PM
==================================================

AND:

Filename          : PSHED.dll
Address In Stack  :
From Address      : fffff880`00cfb000
To Address        : fffff880`00d0f000
Size              : 0x00014000
Time Stamp        : 0x4a5be027
Time String       : 7/13/2009 8:32:23 PM
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
File Description  : Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver
File Version      : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
Full Path         : C:\Windows\system32\PSHED.dll

I notified the  Dell tech and am waiting for further help. My 30 days are rapidly disappearing but hope the problem has been documented and HOPE Dell will stand behind their product. If I could get a refund now I probably would take it. I find it very difficult to get ant response from someone from dell USA.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2015 07:00

Did you get a response yet...  Just curious what your outcome is?  Are you trying to just fix Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10?  I have the same decision to make as you...  Return everything or see if Dell can help me fix the problem...  

4 Posts

December 26th, 2015 08:00

Tnach,

I have not received a response back from the tech (Van Adrianne Catolic), Dell Phillipines since 12-18 but with the weekend and holiday ???. I did fill out a Dell survey this am and spoke my peace.

I am trying to keep win 7 if possible but if win 10 will work without error then I will change.I can't believe the trouble getting help from Dell. I was going to go with a local PC maker in Ohio with lifetime support. I should have gone with them but the Dell was a better System, or so I thought. I will wait till Monday to call Dell back.

John

No Events found!