Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2010 12:00

Buying Studio XPS 9000 from shopAMEX...very frustrated!!!!!

I have been really frustrated trying to use my American Express rewards points to buy a couple of Studio XPS 900 computers from the American Express Rewards Program. There are 588 separate listings for this computer on their website each representing a different version of the computer. However in the "detailed description" of each there is only the words "Studio XPS 9000". Each listing shows a dell part number which is usually six of seven alphanumeric characters followed by and underscore and one or two digit. I have spent about an hour on the phone with representatives of Dell sales and AMEX customer service but neither can tell me what the specs of any of the listing actually are. If you put the part number without the underscore and the following digits into Dell.com you will get a computer description but that could represent several of the listings on AMEX. The underscore portion listed on the AMEX site must represent different features of each selection, since the cost in both points and $'s is different for each one, but no one at either company can tell me what the parts description is.

Is there no one at Dell or AMEX responsible for this program which can share the information necessary to make a purchase of this type? Surely this is an important channel to Dell and to AMEX.

I am confounded. Any help appreciated

468 Posts

January 17th, 2010 13:00

You should be able to give Dell the part number and they are supposed to know what it is, unless Amex has modified the part number (adding the extra number) in which case Amex should have the information.  Regardless since you have already called dell and amex and they are not helping you, I would probably take my points to a different vendor?  I am not familiar with the points program but maybe there is another computer vendor you can buy from.

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 12:00

Been there, done that, and I KNOW  your frustration.  I went through both Amex and Dell at multiple levels of customer care and never found an answer.  I did get someone to finally tell me that Dell is the one that gives the Amex shopAmex Dell Store the lists of its computer configurations and "part numbers" (and corresponding prices).  As you've already determined, the shopAmex Dell Store 7-digit alpahnumeric "part number" is a Dell number, but it is a base model number (which for any one model, say a Studio XPS 9100 desktop, there may be 5 or more base part numbers, and within  each of those base number there may be hundreds of different possible configurations).  For instance, A Dell Studio XPS DXDWQU2 (8 GB Studiio XPS desktop w/o monitor), there are 48 separate configurations (or part numbers) listed at the shopAmex Dell Store, all denoted by a different postscript "_X", where "X" represents a different number from 1 to 48; eg. a 7-digit alphanumeric number-postscript combo like DXDWQU2_1).  I was never able to find anyone, either at Dell or Amex who could tell me what configurations these postscript numbers represented.

I know this doesn't help, and this post is in answer to a post a year-old, but went ahead any way in case there are others searching for answers to this same problem.  BTW, I finally did buy an XPS 8100 (shows you how old this problem is) desktop through the shopAmex Dell Store, over a year-and-a-half ago.  I had to guess at what I was going to get, based on a likely configuration and the price level listed at Amex.  Did OK, but I don't think I ended up with exactly what I throught I was going to get.  One thing I can be pretty sure about is if you order the corresponding 7-digit part number without any postscripts (or maybe just the _1?), you'll get the stripped down Dell model without any different added options.  Found the OP's post because I was interested in buying a new XPS 9100 via the shopAMex Dell Store, and it was this bad Deja-Vu once again !!!

No Events found!