Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2014 01:00

CMOS Battery Dies so quickly

Hi. I have dell Optiplex 755 Desktop PC but I'm facing a problem with it. It's CMOS battery gets die so quickly. Mostly the CMOS battery can last for a year. I have replaced 3 CMOS battery. But they got expired within month. Please help me that how I can overcome to this problem. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 19th, 2014 04:00

Hi USMANKHAN47.

Do you turn off and unplug your PC every night?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 19th, 2014 08:00

Many places sell these batteries cheap because they are already several years old.

Get one from a pharmacy aka DURACELL DL2032 which isnt going to be more expensive but will last longer.

They have a  maximum 10 year shelf life. LESS in a HOT environment.

OR

You are turning off power strip at night. The battery is only designed to run the clock for short periods of time not 8 or more hours a night every night.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 19th, 2014 09:00

This could also be a problem with the motherboard. Run the diagnostics to test all the hardware including the motherboard. This is a 7 year old model. It might be time to replace it.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

July 20th, 2014 11:00

I have several desktop computers that are unplugged for four to six months each year without the CMOS battery dying. One is 10 years old without a battery replacement. This is most likely a mother board issue.

I use cheap Chinese 2032 batteries for high demand applications and get usage equivalent to US drugstore versions. Cost is about a tenth as the drugstore.

August 5th, 2014 20:00

Yes! every night I turn if off and unplug it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 8th, 2014 06:00

If the system is unplugged, the battery will not last as long. Fortunately, they're cheap and very easy to replace.

No Events found!