Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2013 13:00

CMOS Battery - New Socket Style

I work on desktop PCs in the Optiplex and Vostro series.  Recently I was handed a Vostro 220 that needs a new

CR 2032 CMOS battery.  The issue I have is that the motherboard uses a battery socket style I'm not familiar with.

Generally, what you see are sockets that feature a small metal clip that you can push to one side and the battery

pops right out.  This new socket type, however, does not have the spring clip feature.  Instead, the battery is held

in place by means of black plastic protrusions that are part of the molded socket itself.  It actually looks like the

battery was never meant to be replaced.  I've tried merely prying the battery out with all manner of plastic tools,

but each time I approach whatever I perceive to be the breaking point of either the tool or socket and I back off. 

I've spent over an hour trying to get the thing out.  The service manual shows the older style socket with the

spring clip.

What's the secret?

Thanks and regards,

Thomas

6.4K Posts

December 18th, 2013 23:00

I'm assuming you are describing a holder that lies flat against the motherboard in a manner similar to the older holder that uses the spring clip at one edge of the plastic frame.  The holder I'm thinking of has a ledge of plastic that hides a part of the battery on one side, and a sort of finger arrangement of plastic on the other.  Did you try pushing the cell farther under the ledge of plastic so that the other side comes free of the fingers?  This type of holder has the spring under the plastic ledge that forces the battery against the side of the holder having the fingers so the fingers keep the battery secure.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2013 16:00

Hi Thomas,

Here's what is shown in the manual. There's a small tab that you must push to the side to release the battery.

5 Posts

December 18th, 2013 20:00

That's the old style battery socket with the retaining tab.  These new sockets have no such tabs.

Dell should have updated the manual.

I managed to pry it out with a plastic spudger, but it required a lot of force.  You shouldn't have

to come close to breaking something in order to fix it.  There must be a better way.

Thomas

5 Posts

December 19th, 2013 10:00

I'm assuming you are describing a holder that lies flat against the motherboard in a manner similar to the older holder that uses the spring clip at one edge of the plastic frame.  The holder I'm thinking of has a ledge of plastic that hides a part of the battery on one side, and a sort of finger arrangement of plastic on the other.  Did you try pushing the cell farther under the ledge of plastic so that the other side comes free of the fingers?  This type of holder has the spring under the plastic ledge that forces the battery against the side of the holder having the fingers so the fingers keep the battery secure.

Hi Jackshack.  Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is precisely the battery holder I'm speaking of.  I didn't try pressing down on on end because I

was afraid of damaging the underlying spring contact.  However, now that I know that it's designed to

be used that way, I'll give it a shot.  I have another Vostro lying around that I can test this on.

Thanks much for the info!

Thomas

5 Posts

December 19th, 2013 11:00

Confirmed.  If you look carefully at the photographs, there is a small slot near the lower

right-hand corner of each picture. If you get a small tool in that slot and push the coin cell

inward toward the ledge, it pops right out.  That's much better than simply prying the

battery out, which is, judging by the arrows in the photographs, what they're telling you

to do.

I've also been working on Vostro 200s.  Those sockets have fingers on both sides, and

there is no side-spring to hold the battery in.  I find the best strategy to remove the battery

from those is to use two spudgers; one to hold the socket against the PC board, and the

other to pry the battery up in just the right spot.

I wonder why they felt the battery sockets needed a re-design.  Personally, I've always

had good luck with the original style, and they are certainly the easiest to deal with.

Regards,

Thomas

6.4K Posts

December 19th, 2013 13:00

I'm glad to have helped.  The photo is a Dell graphic, and I never understood the idea of the arrows on the sides of the cell myself.  I figure it is a new photo that was inserted into a figure that had the older battery holder originally.

Best of luck to you.

No Events found!