Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2011 03:00

CMOS battery failure

I have a Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop. Today morning, I could not switch on my laptop. After about 30 mins, I get to switch it on, and with a huge beeping alarm stating that the system's CMOS battery has failed. I called up Dell service centre at UAE (I am a student and travelling to this country for sometime). The executive suggested that I have to go in for a motherboard change? Do I need to change the motherboard. The system is under international warranty but for UAE to do something for my laptop requires me to transfer the warranty to UAE?? I dont understand this logic.

I am a student and need my laptop. Kindly advice. Did anybody had a similar problem? What do I do?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 21st, 2011 05:00

You could try replacing the CMOs battery yourself but it would require you to dismantle the laptop. In depth instructions are given in the Service Manual. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> If you are careful following these and have a small crosshead and flathead screwdriver then you can't really go wrong.

Get the battery from amazon, something the likes of this here.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2011 05:00

hi natakuc,

yup, I thought of it myself, however on confirmation from the service centre, they say that since in this model (Inspiron N4010) the CMOS battery is embedded on the motherboard and would require the motherboard to be replaced!!... what do u think??

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 21st, 2011 06:00

See the service manual it tells you where the battery is and how to remove/replace it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 21st, 2011 10:00

Seeba,

Here are your service manual's instructions on replacing the battery. It's fairly easy. The service center probably thought you were referring to the CMOS chip itself.

By the way, should you need further help, the laptop forums would be the best place to ask. Good luck!

No Events found!