Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2009 01:00

CPU Upgrades for my Pentium D 2.8 ghz

I have  a Dimension E510. It has a Pentium D 820, 2.8 GHz, Smithfield Processor. Socket 775 LGA. The motherboard is model # 0HJ054, Chipset: Intel i945G/GZ, Southbridge 82801 GB

What i would like to know is.... Would my motherboard support a Core 2 Duo Proc. or newer? I know they have the same socket # but i  have come up short  on my search for this info.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 2nd, 2009 12:00

I have  a Dimension E510. It has a Pentium D 820, 2.8 GHz, Smithfield Processor. Socket 775 LGA. The motherboard is model # 0HJ054, Chipset: Intel i945G/GZ, Southbridge 82801 GB

What i would like to know is.... Would my motherboard support a Core 2 Duo Proc. or newer? I know they have the same socket # but i  have come up short  on my search for this info.

onecoolrooster

The e510, does not support Core 2 Duo processors.

Bev.

11 Posts

March 11th, 2009 08:00

The e510 does not support the Core2Duo procs, but it will support a faster Pentium D proc.  I upgraded mine from a Pentium D 820 to a Pentium D 945 and it made a pretty big difference in speed.  I think that the Pentium D 945 is the max that the e510 will support, but I am not positive.  I think that I read somewhere on the internet that it was the max that could be installed, but I can't remember where or find the link.  I did also buy a better heatsink on e-bay that was used and I believe it was from an Optiplex GX620 MiniTower which still fits the e510 MiniTower case. 

I run Win XP MCE and the new proc made Media Center run much faster and switch between videos and TV shows a lot faster also.  I think that I spent about $80 on the Proc and I think about $15 on the heatsink.  For me it seemed like a worthwhile investment.

If you do change out the Proc and heatsink get some arctic Silver thermal compound also.  The stock heatsink might have been able to handle the faster Proc, but I thought it woudl be better to get a bigger one.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

37 Posts

March 27th, 2017 20:00

The absolute best you can do in a Dimension E510 is a Pentium D 945. You have the #0HJ054 motherboard so you will not have to deal with an "Incompatible CPU" message when you boot your machine. With other motherboards you get that message and you have to press F1 to continue.

I upgraded from the D 940 to the D 945 and it really didn't make any difference other than having a  lower TDP for the D 945, 95 W vs. 130 W for the D 940. My machine has the copper performance heat sink so it could handle the extra heat generated by the D 940, but that shouldn't be an issue with the D 945 so getting a new heat sink is not an absolute must. But, do use Arctic Silver thermal compound.

Upgrading from a D 820 to a D 945 is a more significant upgrade so I would imagine that you'll see a much bigger boost in performance than I did. For me, the Windows Experience Index subscore for the processor only rose by 0.1 points. Your subscore should rise a lot more.

No Events found!