This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 17th, 2008 10:00

CPU upgrade in Dell Inspiron 530

Hey,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 and I want to upgrade my CPU to a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Thinking it works, I bought it and I put it in the PC and try starting up and all I get is all the fans moving the DVD R/W works and the HDD is working but the light won't turn blue and nothing is displayed on the screen. When I put my old CPU back in (Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz) it all starts up nicely.

How can I fix this so that my CPU will work in my Dell?

I have updated the BIOS already. If this doesn't work I will be complaining to Dell about this.

Thanks,
Chris

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I am already ahead of you mate :) I have installed a 450W PSU.

799 Posts

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 and I want to upgrade my CPU to a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Thinking it works, I bought it and I put it in the PC and try starting up and all I get is all the fans moving the DVD R/W works and the HDD is working but the light won't turn blue and nothing is displayed on the screen. When I put my old CPU back in (Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz) it all starts up nicely.

Hello Flisker, I am not sure what components you have on your system, but if your system came with a Pentium Dual Core 2.0 GHZ, it most likely also came with a 300 watt PS.

The Intel Core 2 Q6600 is recommended to have at least a 350 watt PS , according to Dell. The 300 watt PS does not provide enough power for the Q6600.

See the information below.

Quad Core Inspiron 530

Part #     Functional Desc                                                         Master Desc
FU909     Power Supply, 350 Watt, PFC,  Delta                       PWR SPLY,350,PFC,DELTA

FU913     Power Supply, 350 Watt, PFC,  LiteOn                     PWR SPLY,350,PFC,LTON

Inspiron 530

Part #     Functional Desc                                                         Master Desc

XW596    Power Supply, 300 Watt, PFC,  Mini Tower              PWR SPLY,300W,PFC, ACBEL
XW597    Power Supply, 300 Watt, PFC,  Mini Tower              PWR SPLY,300W,PFC,BESTEC
XW598    Power Supply, 300 Watt, PFC,  Mini Tower              PWR SPLY,300W,PFC,DELTA
XW599    Power Supply, 300 Watt, Non PFC,  Mini Tower       PWR SPLY,300W,NPFC,ACBEL
XW600    Power Supply, 300 Watt, Non PFC,  Mini Tower       PWR SPLY,300W,NPFC,BESTEC
XW601    Power Supply, 300 Watt, Non PFC,  Mini Tower       PWR SPLY,300W,NPFC,DELTA

Something else to consider, are you applying the thernal paste on the processor top? This is critical for it to not overheat.

But, from what you mention, I would suspect that the PS is the reason the system will not boot.

Just some thought and hope this helps.

799 Posts

December 17th, 2008 11:00

Well, I can't even get a display on the monitor. The fans just blow air through the system like on first start up and will stay like that and the power button will stay orange. So I can't check the BIOS to see if the CPU is there.

Do you get any beeps when you attempt to boot the system, that might indicate a faulty or non-existant CPU?

If you cannot get the system to boot and access the BIOS, with the Q6600 installed, and you can with the original CPU installed, I would suspect the new Q6600 to be faulty.

I would try and get an exchange for it.

Hope this helps.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I get no beeps nothing just the light and all fans working like start up.

799 Posts

I am already ahead of you mate :) I have installed a 450W PSU.

That's great. While most PS units are rated at a specific rating, not all put out the rated power.

Not being critical, just a heads up, in case you were not aware of this.

I would go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS recogonizes the Q6600 CPU.

Sometimes this needs to be done when a processor is changed.

You may have already done this, but trying to eliminate any possible causes.

It is possible that you have received a faulty Q6600 CPU.

While this is unlikely, it is a possibility. I have had this occur before, and it will drive you crazy figuring this out.

The fact that the original processor works, and you have upgraded the PS, this is a real possibility.

Hope this helps.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

[quote user="Flisker"]I am already ahead of you mate :) I have installed a 450W PSU.

That's great. While most PS units are rated at specific rating, not all put out the rated power.

Not being critical, just a heads up, in case you were not aware of this.

I would go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS recogonizes the Q6600 CPU.

Sometimes this needs to be done when a processor is changed.

You may have already done this, but trying to eliminate any possible causes.

It is possible that you have received a faulty Q6600 CPU.

While this is unlikely, it is a possibility. I have had this occur before, and it will drive you crazy figuring this out.

The fact that the original processor works, and you have upgraded the PS, this is a real possibility.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Well, I can't even get a display on the monitor. The fans just blow air through the system like on first start up and will stay like that and the power button will stay orange. So I can't check the BIOS to see if the CPU is there.

799 Posts

December 17th, 2008 12:00

I get no beeps nothing just the light and all fans working like start up.

Hello Flisker, Getting no beeps at all, suggest that the PS may not be putting out enough power for the Q6600.

Do you have a digital volt meter to check the voltages from the PS when the system is under a load, when you are attempting to boot?

Normally, when the BIOS finds a faulty device, such as memory, CPU, or video card, there will be beep codes to indicate which device is at fault.

Just a thought.

186 Posts

December 17th, 2008 13:00

If I am not mistaken you can't upgrade from a dual core to a quad in a 530. The reason being is the 530 systems with the quad core have a different motherboard and something to do with the different voltages.

If you originally had a quad and wanted a bigger quad then it could be done, I upgraded from a core2duo 6420 to the 8400 at the time because the 530 would not accept the quad. Maybe things have changed but I don't think so.

Here is an old post regarding a vostro 200 which is the same as the 530.

I hope this helps you, Good Luck

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 17th, 2008 13:00

If I am not mistaken you can't upgrade from a dual core to a quad in a 530. The reason being is the 530 systems with the quad core have a different motherboard and something to do with the different voltages.

If you originally had a quad and wanted a bigger quad then it could be done, I upgraded from a core2duo 6420 to the 8400 at the time because the 530 would not accept the quad. Maybe things have changed but I don't think so.

Here is an old post regarding a vostro 200 which is the same as the 530.

I hope this helps you, Good Luck

http://communityweb.ins.dell.com/forums/p/19193512/19318474.aspx#19318474

The MB in the 530 is Foxconn G33M02 not a vostro 200 and i checked the Foxconn website and the G33M MB support Core 2 Quad.

[quote user="Flisker"]I get no beeps nothing just the light and all fans working like start up.

Hello Flisker, Getting no beeps at all, suggest that the PS may not be putting out enough power for the Q6600.

Do you have a digital volt meter to check the voltages from the PS when the system is under a load, when you are attempting to boot?

Normally, when the BIOS finds a faulty device, such as memory, CPU, or video card, there will be beep codes to indicate which device is at fault.

Just a thought.

[/quote]

Unfortunately I do not have a voltage metre. The thing is the PC won't even boot up, doesn't get off the starting up process the fans just keep spinning at full revs.

If I don't get this sorted by tomorrow, I will have to sadly ditch the Dell and get another motherboard and case and build my own computer.

729 Posts

December 17th, 2008 14:00

Mars1100 is right.  The Inspiron 530 comes with two different motherboards.  A G33M02 for Core 2 Duo and a G33M03 for Core 2 Quad.  Since you have a G33M02 it will not support a quad.  If you decide to build your own system you'll also need a copy of Windows operating system since the Dell recovery CD is tied to the Dell motherboard.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 17th, 2008 15:00

Mars1100 is right.  The Inspiron 530 comes with two different motherboards.  A G33M02 for Core 2 Duo and a G33M03 for Core 2 Quad.  Since you have a G33M02 it will not support a quad.  If you decide to build your own system you'll also need a copy of Windows operating system since the Dell recovery CD is tied to the Dell motherboard.

Urgh, Just what I need! Why does Dell have to make stuff so complicated!

Now I'm going to have to fork out MORE money just for another Motherboard! I may aswell build another computer and just takes tuff out of my Dell PC  such as HDD and DVD drive etc.

186 Posts

December 17th, 2008 15:00

Urgh, Just what I need! Why does Dell have to make stuff so complicated!

530 is a good machine, Must you have the Quad Core? You could just return the Quad Core and get the newest Core 2 Duo whatever that might be nowadays.  A good core2duo will run anything an average user can through at it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 18th, 2008 09:00

I'm a gamer. I have upgraded the GFX card, RAM and PSU in this PC and the only major thing holding me back was the CPU so I bought a core 2 Quad because they work better with GTA IV on PC.

186 Posts

December 20th, 2008 07:00

My personal opinion is that you would be better off with the 8600 core 2 duo anyway but here is an article you can read and decide for yourself.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2336852,00.asp

Pay special attention to the section on the left under "Table of Contents" were it shows pc games, but read the entire article there is plenty of information there.

2 Posts

July 13th, 2009 15:00

Inspiron 530

Core2Duo 8500 3.16GHZ

4GB@667, 320GB HD

BFG 8800GT512

Zalman 9500AT Cooler

Antec Neopower 550

Vista Home Premium 32bit

If you have a Dell Inpsiron 530 with 4GB of ram in a 32 bit OS its only going to recognize max 3.3GB so don't be so sure you getting your full performance outta your ram

No Events found!