Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2004 17:00

Calculator Key on KeyBoard stopped working

I have a new Dimension 8300 running Win XP home edition, with a Dell Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard.

When I fist got the computer a week ago, I was able to press the calculator button on the Keyboard, to bring up the windows calculator on my monitor. Now the button does nothing.  Does anyone know how to repair this?

Thanks,

Fetrunner

120 Posts

March 5th, 2004 13:00

I don't know about your particular keyboard but in general these multifunction keyboards have a piece of software to assign programs to specific keys. See if you can find the software.

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

March 5th, 2004 22:00

On the resource CD, Under Applications, is the Software for the Keyboard

17 Posts

March 5th, 2004 22:00

I'm sorry. Maybe I should rephase my question.  Which CD and what is the name of the utility that will get my keyboard Calculator working again?

I have a new Dimension 8300 running Win XP home edition, with a Dell Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard.

When I fist got the computer a week ago, I was able to press the calculator button on the Keyboard, to bring up the windows calculator on my monitor. Now the button does nothing.  Does anyone know how to repair this?

Thanks,

Fetrunner

120 Posts

March 6th, 2004 05:00

As it is a new computer the software should already be installed, it's just a matter of finding it.

17 Posts

March 6th, 2004 19:00

I found the Resource CD and installed it on my computer so I can run the Keyboard driver as you suggested.  However this did not work. All it did was install software to program "note" hotkey to launch the sound mixer.  This hot key and others all work fine. The only hot key that does not work is the Calculator key. I can launch the calculator through start programs acessories etc.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Fetrunnner

17 Posts

March 8th, 2004 12:00

I'm surprised.  No one has had this problem?  No one knows the answer?  Maybe one of the Dell Technicians knows how to do this. Please advise.

Thanks,

Fetrunner

120 Posts

March 8th, 2004 19:00

The program you have just loaded determines the relationship between the keys on the keyboard and the program that is started.  Start the program and look for the option that allows you to set up the correlation between keys and programs again.  Perhaps you deleted the action while investigating you new computer.

17 Posts

March 8th, 2004 19:00

No I did not delete it.  What, do you work for Dell? I  would expect them to answer like that

120 Posts

March 9th, 2004 06:00

I do not work for Dell, I work for myself supporting other people with their computer problems. And I know what sort of mistakes that people make trying out their new computer.

The probable cause is that you broke it yourself while playing around with your new computer and I'm just trying to help you fix it again.  It's not a fault with the computer, only the operator. If you want to be arrogant about it then sort it out yourself.

17 Posts

March 9th, 2004 11:00

I am not trying to be arrogant. I apologize if you took it that way. But you are assuming that Dell makes no mistakes and their computers are perfect. ( just read the forums).  Why are you automatically assuming that I messed up the computer.  I paid $2000. for a hi end machine that has many problems.  This is why I am here, Mr. Perfect.

Fetrunner

120 Posts

March 9th, 2004 15:00

I spend most of my time trying to find out why things are not working as they should, at the moment I am spending vacation time trying to help you.

The possibilities for the failure you are seeing are 2, hardware failure of the keyboard or software setup failure.  The probability of a hardware failure is low therefore check out the software first.

If you run the program you have just reloaded for the keyboard it should have an option to assign programs to the various keys.  Before complaining at Dell about a defective keyboard check that the key you say is not working is assigned to the calculator program.  The keys by themself cannot start a program, it takes a piece of software in the middle and that piece of software needs setting up.

Reloading the software probably didn't reset the assignments because a file already holding details of the assignments already existed, albeit incorrect, and so was not changed.

On the machine I am working on at the moment the keyboard buttons do absolutely nothing.  This does not mean that the keyboard is defective, it is because the software for the keyboard is not loaded.  (I know it's not there).

Try the software and get back.

You are just seeing the problems on some of the Dell machines, the Dell machines in my patch (There must be at least 35 that I've helped order and install) give me no trouble at all (apart from operator error), which cannot be said for the other manufacturers.

Of course I'm perfect, that's why my customers pay me!

Message Edited by ostell on 03-09-2004 05:46 PM

17 Posts

March 29th, 2004 01:00

I'm having a similiar problem on my Dell Enhanced Multimedia keyboard.  The 5 hot keys on the left don't work - back, forward, stop, refresh & home. The mail, my computer, calculator, and the audio controls all work fine.  The same download to program the "note" hot key didn't help.  Futhermore the control panel shows that I have a Dell Enhanced Quietkey keyboard. Ditto Delltouch pic. Where can I find the right software for the right driver?

17 Posts

April 3rd, 2004 01:00

Fetrunner, if all your hot keys (except calculator) work, would you please reply to my post on 3/31. Or reply here. Go to My computer/(C:)/Dell/drivers and let me know what file # for drivers are listed.  That's drivers under Dell not (C:). Also under control panel/keyboard/hardware what kb is named.  Is the keyboard shown under DellTouch yours?  Would appreciate any info. Thanks....walt33

17 Posts

April 5th, 2004 15:00

Walt,

Thanks for your concern. I have been having many problems with this computer. I finally persuaded Dell to take it back and give me another one.  I finally have a working computer.  Good luck with your issues.

Fetrunner

17 Posts

April 5th, 2004 18:00

Fetrunner,

Congratulations on getting your problem solved!! I hope I can soon.  Do you again have a Dell Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard?  If so, can you send any of they info I was inquiring about?  Anything will help.

No Events found!