Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2016 19:00

Can I do this build, win 10, and so on

First let me say I know nothing about computers. But I'm learning,,,lol. My Son is helping me.

I'm wanting to build something for light newbie type video editing. I'm new to that too.

Vostro 200 mini tower. 

Foxconn G33M02 mobo.

PNY GTX 750 Ti graphics card.

400w power supply.

From what I've read a E8600 duo core is about the best I can do for the 775 socket. So I have one on the way.

I get conflicting reports on if I can go up to 8gb ram. But I think I can if I use a 64 bit os. Do you guys agree.

Can I use ddr3 or am I stuck with ddr2. I've read that some boards can do both. But I can't find any info on mine that says I can. So I'm just hoping on that one.

My board is designed for ddr2 800. Can I use something faster since I'm upgrading the cpu. What would you guys recommend.

Has the dust settled enough that I can run win 10 on this. Are drivers available. I can do a fresh install of win 7 first, then upgrade from there.

Does this seem like a reasonable build for light video editing. Will it work.

I apologist for anything I left out. I'm a newbie. So talk slow please.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 29th, 2016 10:00

First let me say I know nothing about computers. But I'm learning,,,lol. My Son is helping me.

I'm wanting to build something for light newbie type video editing. I'm new to that too.

Vostro 200 mini tower. 

Foxconn G33M02 mobo.

PNY GTX 750 Ti graphics card.

400w power supply.

From what I've read a E8600 duo core is about the best I can do for the 775 socket. So I have one on the way.

I get conflicting reports on if I can go up to 8gb ram. But I think I can if I use a 64 bit os. Do you guys agree.

Can I use ddr3 or am I stuck with ddr2. I've read that some boards can do both. But I can't find any info on mine that says I can. So I'm just hoping on that one.

My board is designed for ddr2 800. Can I use something faster since I'm upgrading the cpu. What would you guys recommend.

Has the dust settled enough that I can run win 10 on this. Are drivers available. I can do a fresh install of win 7 first, then upgrade from there.

Does this seem like a reasonable build for light video editing. Will it work.

I apologist for anything I left out. I'm a newbie. So talk slow please.

Calvin Wallace

You should be able to use 8gb of DDR2 RAM with a 64-bit operating system.

Yes, you are stuck with DDR2 memory.

I'm running Win 10 for the pass year, on both a Vostro 200 MT and Inspiron 530 MT, without any issues.

If the Win 7 that's installed is a 64-bit OS, then you should be able to upgrade to a 64-bit Windows 10, but if it is a 32-bit system, then you will need to buy a new 64-bit version of Windows 10.

Bev.

December 29th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

1. Is the 800 ram the fastest I can go.  I'm trying to learn about timing (5-5-5-15)  How important is that.

2. Any idea if I can edit video with this set up. I got the GTX 750 to for $40. So that was hard to pass up.

December 29th, 2016 11:00

I was trying to edit my title. Could find out how. So I clicked on "use rich formation"

That threw windows defender into a panic on my win 10 set up. Said it was going to block my pc.

Same thing happened yesterday on my Vostro set up.

I had to restart each system 3 or 4 times to get rid of it.

Did I get a virus?

No Events found!