Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2007 19:00

Can't Defrag or Check Disk

My brother-in-laws 6 year old Dell Dimension 1.6 GHz, 256 Ram won't run defrag or chkdisk. I tried Microsoft defrag and Auslogics defrag. Both result in the blue death screen that says a physical memory dump is in progress. The same thing happens when I try to run check disk.

It has 58 processes running in the background when booted up. It seems to have about 60 free meg memory at that point. Is this too little to run the above tools? Or does it indicate a bad hard drive?

Thanks

561 Posts

December 18th, 2007 20:00

Hello,

Have you tried running in safe mode? Also using the original installation disc for Windows XP I presume,  booting to the Recovery Console and running  Chkdsk from there?

Roger1955
---------------------------
XPS 410 Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe @ 2.4 ghz
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533 mhz / Evga Geforce 7600GT
2x250 GB WD Sata II HDD'S 7200 rpm(Raid 1 Array)
19 in E197FPB Flat Panel Display
13 and 1 Media Card Reader
Sony CRX 3105S 48xCombo CD-RW/DVD Sata
TSST Corp TS-H553A 16xDVD+-RW/DL Sata
IEEE 1394 PCI Express Firewire Port
Avast 4.7 Home Edition Anti-Virus, AVG Anti-Spyware, Comodo Pro Firewall, Comodo BoClean, Super Anti-Spyware, Window Defender

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 18th, 2007 21:00

Could be hardware or software problem. Suggest you back up personal files onto CD in case the drive is going to fail. Exactly what does the BSOD say? Does it give you a specific Stop message and/or name a specific .exe, .dll or .sys?

If you have a Utilities partition on the hard drive, press F12 before XP starts to load, select that partition and run extended hard drive tests. If you don't have that partition, go here and download Dell's 90/90 hard drive utility. Create a bootable floppy, boot from the floppy and run the 90/90 tests.

http://snipurl.com/1vicd

Note that Windows defrag requires at least 15% free space to run, so you may want to delete all .tmp files, clear the browser cache, and move pix, music etc onto CDs and delete from HD to make some free space.

Ron
No Events found!