8 Krypton

Cannot Boot From CD/DVD

I wouldn't say this problem is of the highest priority, but at the same time it is kind of worrying. I am hearing a lot that a good program to use if you are wanting to wipe your HDD is DBAN. All well and good, except that you need to boot up the program from CD/DVD. The problems is when I went to my BIOS/UEFT or whatever you wanna call it my CD/DVD drive doesn't seem to appear in the BIOS even when I changed to UEFI to Legacy, if that makes sense. All that shows up is Windows, USB Storage and USB Floppy and a few others that I can't remember.

So if I cannot find my CD/DVD drive, then I pretty much can't boot up from a CD/DVD and that means... no DBAN. I will need this program badly as I have no windows restore utility on my computer and I need something to wipe my computer clean whenever I wanna sell it or if a virus was to take over my computer

Does anybody know what is wrong?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Cannot Boot From CD/DVD

You could always install DBAN on a bootable USB stick...

www.google.com/search

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

In most Modern Machines if the SATA OPERATION is set to ATA instead of AHCI then the optical drive WILL NOT EVER WORK.

You can still boot from a USB2 optical disk with ata in csm legacy mode if you have an external USB DVD drive.   I'm positive they did this to prevent you from installing XP in ATA mode.  I keep an external POWERED DVD Burner around for just this reason.

Secure Boot must be OFF and Legacy Boot ON for F12 F12 F12 F12 Booting to happen.

Piano tap F2 then F12 then F2 then F12   45 times after turning it on until it shows the 1 time boot menu.

This menu WILL NOT EVER SHOW if Secure boot is ON and Legacy Boot is OFF.

Alternatively you can boot UBUNTU 12.04.4 or higher and remove your hard drive altogether and put on a USB Drive Wire and erase it that way.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

8 Krypton

Hi Speedstep, sorry for the very late reply. No problems with my computer, but this problem came to mind again.

So by the looks of things CD/DVD is out as I am not very technical and don't understand half of the things you were trying to say... sorry.

The good news though is that on my Bios there is still an option to boot from a USB storage device which I think is pretty much your USB Flash Drive or is it? Could I simply boot using that and if so will DBAN work then on this ATA thing that you mentioned which my computer has?

Would I also need to turn off Secure Boot & Legacy On?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

bump

0 Kudos