Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 30th, 2016 09:00

Cant install Windows 8 on a studio XPS 8100

Hi  I am having quiet the difficulties doing a clean install of Windows 8 onto a new hard drive. On each attempted, I recieved various stops from: cant find media (lost cd drive), cant write to registry, and mainly Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. Please note, this is a disk straight from Microsoft. I also tryed another disk and tryed Windows 10 with the same errors

I have tryed several different methods starting with a raw drive, making partitons, copying entire cd over to the hard drive. I checked the drive for errors, changing dvd drive. Nothing else other than mouse,keyboard is plugged into the system and I have also tried with and with out the primary hard drive plugged in with the same results

My system bios is set non raid, and it does not have uefi or secure boot. I believe I am either not formatting correctly or a setting in Bios isnt correct

How can I install WIndows 8 on this machine??

Any help appreciated

Thanks Rick

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2016 09:00

Have you run a full diagnostic on the hard drive? F12 at powerup -- it sounds like you may have a faulty drive.

12 Posts

December 31st, 2016 06:00

Well I have just excelled in overlooking the obvious. While diagnostics nor disk checking for errors didn't find anything, I did go ahead and replace the drive. Success, I got both Windows 8 and 10 to both install without any further problems.

I got hung up on all the similar problems reported on the web and removed my common sense on this one.

I humbly appreciate your help and thank you very kindly

No Events found!