Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2008 22:00

Changing an XPS 720 to ATX

I remember reading somplace that's it's possible with quite a bit of modding to change an XPS 720 to accept an ATX motherboard. Out of interest did anyone here try it?

303 Posts

May 19th, 2008 23:00

That would be awesome, especially an atx for xps 700/710/720 users. this would extend the life of my computer for a long long time. anyways could you keep in mind a big psu for sli, or tri sli, or quad sli!!! Thanks  madbirmy

xps 720,q6600,8800gtx (sli),4 gig pc2 8500, VISTA UE x64.

303 Posts

May 25th, 2008 16:00

PG, any news yet. I am like a kid at Christmas. can't wait for an update.    madbirmy

1.9K Posts

May 25th, 2008 17:00

Right now I am in the finishing process of the aluminum.  The problem is it is a VERY time consuming process.  I even purchased another sander in hopes it would cut down the time, but the quality was NOT good.  I am doing the whole case again by hand.  I would expect that there will not be any major updates until this is finished.  Sorry to disappoint.  I am also testing the front panel I/O.  I might decide on a new custom front panel with a slot loading DVD drive.  This is still up in the air right now.  I will post an update to the blog next weekend.

303 Posts

June 1st, 2008 14:00

HI, PG. any news yet on your finished product. I am very excited to see it. hopefully I am not bugging you to much.   Thanks  madbirmy.

1.9K Posts

June 1st, 2008 19:00

No, your aren't bugging me at all.  I don't have much to report yet.  The aluminum polishing has not turned out as nice as I wanted.  I am in the process of finishing one of the panels by hand.  This is the only way it looks good.  It just takes so much to finish each level of sanding.  I hope to be finished within the week to a point where I can make a firm decision.  If I don't like this finished product, I am taking the case to a paint and body shop for a high gloss black finish. 

Besides the finish, I have decided on a radiator for the water cooling and 4 120mm case fans.  I am also about to pull the trigger on 4 cold cathode tubes for the inside of the case.  I am working on a possible plan for a slot loading dvd drive, but that is VERY much up in the air.  Lots of conceptual work, not much in the results area.  Of course work and spring projects have also kept me from getting much done.  I hope to have more time to devote to this during the next few weeks.

303 Posts

June 18th, 2008 22:00

Hey PG1122, any news or anything new.  I hate to bug you, I would love to see how things are going.  madbirmy

1.9K Posts

June 19th, 2008 23:00

I have been working on the finish.  It is VERY time consuming as you can imagine.  I am not as young as I once was either.  Anyways, I really do think I am all ready to go when the finish is done and I decide on hardware to drop into it.  I did pick up a GTX 280.  I plan to water cool that and maybe go SLI in the future (when prices drop).  I am still picking out what mobo and CPU I want.  Aivas is testing the P45.  That looks like a potential winner except for no SLI.  There is also the option of the next gen systems later this year.  I am leaning toward a EVGA 790i mobo with a E8500 CPU and dual GTX 280s all liquid cooled.  I might go TEC cooled (I have a friend working on a possible setup for that).  Honestly, I am predicting a finished system around the end of the summer.  I should have more pictures up in a week or so of the finish.  I have to do this a little at a time due to the budget.  Too bad I spent this month's entire budget on a single GPU.

303 Posts

June 20th, 2008 20:00

Yes, but that gpu is worth it. anyways can't wait to see the modification to fit an atx mobo in xps 700 case. will the dell psu work for the mod?   madbirmy

1.9K Posts

June 21st, 2008 03:00

No, the Dell PSU will not work (without its own modding) on an ATX mobo.  I am currently shopping for a PSU that can handle dual GTX 280s.  I will probably go with Corsair again. 

303 Posts

June 21st, 2008 23:00

OK great. So let me ask you this.  will a regular atx psu fit in the xps 700cases without modding???

1.9K Posts

June 25th, 2008 02:00

It appears to be standard size, but I will test that theory next time I get a chance and let you know for sure.  I really can't see how it wouldn't fit.

303 Posts

August 10th, 2008 22:00

Hey PG1122,  is there any new news on your conversion from btx to atx. if so please do tell. been waiting a long time to see if you have it done.   Thanks  madbirmy

303 Posts

August 20th, 2008 21:00

PG,  any new news.  Thanks  madbirmy

1.9K Posts

August 25th, 2008 17:00

I hope to have something to report soon.  Maybe after Labor Day.??

August 27th, 2008 21:00

I just bought a XPS 720 (Black) off of eBay for a computer build and realised that its a BTX.  I was disapointed and thought i wouldnt be able to use it...and after lots and lots of internet searching ive come upon your build!  If you write up those steps on how to do the simple conversion w/ parts list ect, it would be a monumental help to me!!  Do you know about when youll have the case complete?

No Events found!