Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 3rd, 2016 10:00

Cloning the second drive on a Dell XPS 8500

My XPS has two HDD bays and I'm getting the 2nd drive today. The Dell XPS 8500 has not been tested for Windows 10 according to Dell, I have changed it over to Windows 10 with no problems (I even upgraded the graphics card and put 16 more gig's of ram into it) My question is can I clone the "C" drive onto the blank drive? I have the program "AOMEI backerupper" to do the cloning with. My second question might sound a little dull but the reason I'm trying to clone the drive is that my C drive after defragging it still is 50% fragmented and it only has 133GB on a 1 TB drive, plus it makes an awful noise when I start it up, when I clone it will the fragmented files load onto the new hard drive?(the new drive is also 1 TB)

Thank you 

175 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 12:00

If one of the disks is Seagate, then you can clone the drive using Seagate DiscWizard - it is free.

I've used it successfully several times (on XPS 720 and others), only time it failed was cloning to 2 disk WD Velociraptor Raid set up; was fine with 2 disk Seagate Raid.  Also it sometimes did not work if the disk was connected via USB but connecting it to the computer via SATA fixed that.

Note. my largest disk was 600 GB, so don't know it there will be issues on 1T disks.

33 Posts

August 7th, 2016 21:00

Does the following tutorial help?
Clone OS to New HDD

1.2K Posts

August 7th, 2016 22:00

if one of the drives is WD, you can use the Acronis WD edition which is free.

easeus diskcopy free has also worked well for me.

www.easeus.com/.../index.htm

No Events found!