Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2015 18:00

Compatible Hardware

I have an Optiplex 755 and I am encountering some faults with the optical drive. However, I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard, meaning I'm going to want new hardware that is obviously compatible. The desktop is a SFF and I'm hoping to spend at least £1000-£1200 on the hardware. Can someone recommend me what hardware I should get ? I really need the help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2015 11:00

Dell typically uses a custom connector between their motherboards and front panels. And the connectors usually differ from PC model to model. Dell doesn't make the front panel wiring info public.

So unless you install the same 755 board, you may have problems connecting the new one to the front panel, if you can't map the wiring yourself.

You'll also have to buy a new license for Window because your license is tied to the 755 board. And you'll have to reinstall Windows because the hardware will be different.

If you're not maxed out on RAM, adding more might be an easy and less expensive way to improve performance.

If you're willing to spend £1000-£1200, you probably can get an entirely new/faster/better PC in that price range...

No Events found!